About This Chapter
Soccer History & Rules - Chapter Summary
If you've ever wanted to learn more about the game of soccer, check out this chapter's short video lessons. Instructors show you how the game of soccer originated and compare the earliest forms of the sport to its modern-day version. You'll also explore the significance of field markings and get an introduction to the responsibilities of different player positions. Offensive strategies and ball control skills, such as passing, heading and trapping, are covered as well, along with defensive strategies and tactics. By the time you reach the end of this chapter, you should be familiar with the following:
- The origins and evolution of soccer
- Soccer rules and player responsibilities
- Passing, shooting and defending skills
- Offensive and defensive strategies
A variety of instructional materials and an approachable teaching style make this chapter an ideal resource for anyone who needs to review soccer basics. Engaging video lessons and matching transcripts are included to suit a variety of learning styles. Both formats feature instruction from experienced teachers and can be viewed in any order, at a pace that works for you. Multiple-choice quizzes are also available to help you determine how well you've absorbed the lesson material.
1. The Origins & Evolution of Soccer
The modern origins of soccer are found in 19th century England. Since then, it has spread to every corner of of the earth and is currently the most popular sport in the world. In this article, learn about its development and evolution.
2. The Rules of Soccer & Responsibilities of Players
Soccer is the world's most popular sport. Its rules and the roles of soccer players are easy to learn and coach. In this lesson, learn about the details that frame 'the beautiful game.'
3. Basic Soccer Skills
Successful soccer players must master a number of basic skills, including dribbling, kicking, and trapping the ball. In this lesson, you'll learn how to effectively control and move a soccer ball around the field, as well as the techniques involved in defending the goal.
4. Offensive & Defensive Strategy in Soccer
If you're relatively new to soccer and want to learn basic strategies, this lesson will give you a solid understanding. If you already know a lot about soccer, the lesson will still help with offensive and defensive strategy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards