About This Chapter
Social Health & Diversity - Chapter Summary
Go through this chapter to learn more about social health and examine its various aspects. You will have the opportunity to look at examples of this form of health, helping you to better understand it. Other sections of this chapter focus on interpersonal relationships and the skills needed to master them. In addition, you can develop a deeper understanding of diversity by viewing the videos. You'll examine cultural diversity in the workplace and learn about prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination. After finishing this chapter, you should be capable of:
- Defining diversity
- Identifying the components of the ABC model of attitudes and prejudice
- Differentiating discrimination from prejudice
- Explaining the benefits of diversity training in globalized businesses
- Stating diversity issues that occur in the workplace
Learning about diversity and social health isn't complicated thanks to each lesson's video format. Ranging from 5-10 minutes, the videos come with quizzes. After watching the video you can quickly assess your understanding of the material by taking the accompanying quiz, helping you make sure you are retaining the details. All of the videos are taught by professional instructors who will answer any questions that you may have.
1. What Is Social Health? - Definition & Examples
At first glance, social health may be challenging to identify and address, but there are many benefits that come from strengthening your relationships with others. Let's learn more about how to develop and maintain relationships and how social health can be just as important as physical health.
2. Interpersonal Relationships: Definition & Theories
To be human is to be involved in interpersonal relationships. In this lesson, we will define interpersonal relationships and discuss the various theories that explain how we create and maintain them.
3. Interpersonal Interaction: Skills & Definition
Everything you do with and around others is considered interpersonal interaction. This lesson discusses situations of interpersonal interactions and the skills involved during those interactions.
4. What is Diversity? - Definition & Meaning
This lesson defines the word diversity. It also gives examples of both visible and invisible diversity. Some examples of understanding diversity and why it is important are also discussed.
5. Prejudice, Discrimination & Stereotypes: Definitions & Examples
There are many different types of people in the world. What happens when one person thinks or feels a certain way about an entire group of people? Watch this lesson to find out about stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
6. The ABC Model of Attitudes and Prejudice
How are attitudes formed? And what's the relationship between attitudes and behavior? In this lesson, we'll examine the ABC Model of attitudes, how it relates to prejudice and behaviors, and how behaviors are linked to beliefs and feelings.
7. Interactions Between Social Majorities and Minorities
The world is a diverse place full of all sorts of people. In this lesson, we'll examine the effects of pluralism and what happens when people from different backgrounds interact, including segregation, genocide, assimilation, and miscegenation.
8. Diversity Issues in the Workplace: Discrimination, Sexism, Ageism & More
As our world gets smaller, each workplace becomes more diverse. Understanding how to work with individuals from different backgrounds is important for a successful organization. We will address diversity issues in this lesson
9. Cultural Diversity in the Workplace: Definition, Trends & Examples
Cultural diversity is a form of appreciating the differences in individuals. The differences can be based on gender, age, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and social status. Companies have realized the value in acquiring a diverse workforce.
10. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Health (NT505): Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Health & Wellness
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Impacts of Dietary Choices on Health in the U.S.
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Introduction to Disease
- Immunity & Disease
- Drug Use & Abuse
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Elements of Interpersonal Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Conflict & Resolution
- Introduction to Environmental Health and Risk Analysis
- Environmental Health: Issues and Human Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- Community & Public Health
- Understanding Health Information
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Weight Management & Nutrition
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Volleyball History & Rules
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- AEPA Health Flashcards