About This Chapter
Social Systems & Communication - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to renew your understanding of communications, including group communications and listening skills. Our instructors will explain peer pressure, friendship in adulthood and problems associated with aging. After watching these videos, you should know more about:
- The process of communications
- Nonverbal communications in groups
- Effective listening
- Group behavior
- Peer pressure
- Friendship and marriage in early and late adulthood
- Problems of aging, including social isolation
You can watch these lessons and take the quizzes that accompany them anytime, using your computer, smartphone or tablet. Every lesson contains a transcript with important terms and concepts in bold type. Use our Dashboard to monitor your progress and ask questions of the instructors via our message board.
1. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
2. Understanding the Nonverbal Communication of Group Members
Nonverbal communication can be difficult to comprehend in group business environment. Subtle cues are often missed, which can easily have verbal messages misunderstood. There are five key functions of nonverbal communication that can help identify potential issues in communication.
3. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
4. Group Behavior in Social Psychology: Definition & Influences
Do individuals behave differently in groups than they would on their own? How do group dynamics affect our decision-making skills? You'll learn about the benefits and potential pitfalls than can come from belonging to a group.
5. What is Peer Pressure? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn who your peers are and how they can pressure you into actions that you wouldn't normally do -- peer pressure. We'll cover types of peer pressure and who is most likely to experience it.
6. Friendship and Marriage in Early Adulthood
During early adulthood, friendships and romantic relationships take center stage as people become more independent of their parents. Watch this lesson to find out about gender differences in friendships and what makes a marriage successful.
7. Friendships in Late Adulthood
Friendships in late life are both similar and different from friendships earlier in life. Watch this lesson to find out what the functions and characteristics of friendship in late adulthood are, as well as how they differ from friendships at other times in life.
8. Challenges of Aging: Retirement, Ageism & Social Isolation
There are many challenges that we face as we age. In this lesson, we discuss three of the larger challenges that have been identified by sociologists: retirement, ageism, and social isolation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Family Structures & Issues
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Screening
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Emergency Care
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Managing & Coping with Stress
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards