About This Chapter
Software Management - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our top instructors have developed engaging lessons you can study any time to boost your knowledge of software management. Ensure you have a quality understanding of project risk management, configuration management, quality management systems and much more. Paired with each lesson is a short quiz designed to test your comprehension of important concepts. The dashboard traces your steps through the chapter and lets you submit any questions to our subject-matter experts. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Detail the process of project management planning
- Describe team assignments and assembly in project management
- List tools for agile planning
- Outline challenges of managing software projects
- Define the W5HH principle in software project management
- Explain how to estimate projects with uncertain activity times
- Discuss various project schedule configuration management policies
- Identify components of project change management
1. What is Project Risk Management? - Definition, Process & Examples
In this lesson, we'll explore the definition and elements of risk management within project management, learning ways to ensure your project is successful. We'll study how to identify, assess and reduce risk and how to react to risk as it shows up.
2. Project Management Planning: Process & Tools
In this lesson, we'll learn about project management planning. We'll look at some steps involved in planning a process, as well as explore some valuable tools when planning a project.
3. Team Assembly & Assignments in Project Management
In this lesson, you'll learn how to create a project team with the skills and capabilities to deliver the project scope. You'll come to understand different types of organizational charts and how specific job assignments/durations are determined.
4. Agile Planning: Process & Tools
Project management involves planning. Even Agile, which seeks to differ from traditional project management approaches, involves planning. Learn the process of Agile planning and the tools involved.
5. Managing Software Projects: Challenges & Processes
This lesson will cover the basics of how software projects are different from other projects as well as common challenges and methods for maintaining project scope, dealing with unexpected changes and communicating as a team.
6. The W5HH Principle in Software Project Management: Definition & Examples
The W5HH principle in software management exists to help project managers guide objectives, timelines, responsibilities, management styles, and resources. In this lesson, we'll explore each part.
7. Estimating Projects with Uncertain Activity Times
Effective management of uncertain activity times will improve the quality of project schedules and reduce surprises down the line. A practical 2-step approach can be used to derive better estimates.
8. What Is Quality Management System? - Definition & Examples
Even if a company isn't concerned about producing a world-class product, quality still needs to be a primary goal. In this lesson, you'll learn about quality management systems - what they are, how they work, and why they are so important.
9. Project Schedule Configuration Management Policies
In this lesson we will learn about software configuration management, as a technical support function to ensure that changes made to the application software are controlled through baseline configurations, performance measures and change control.
10. What Is Configuration Management? - Definition, Process & Tools
Learn about configuration management (CM), a continuous process of recording and maintaining consistent and reliable records pertaining to an organization's hardware and software composition, including software version control and hardware updates.
11. Configuration Management: Control Items & Procedures
Have you ever had to return a part that you purchased because it didn't fit as expected? In this lesson we'll learn about the components of configuration management - change control, version control, and configuration control - and how they impact product changes.
12. Project Change Management: Plan & Components
One certainty for a project of any size is that there will be changes. Changes can occur to the project scope, deliverables, or documents. A Change Management Plan defines the process used to request and process changes in a controlled manner.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 307: Software Engineering course
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Process Models in Software Engineering
- Development & Testing Methods in Software Engineering
- Agile Development in Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & System Models
- Software Requirements Engineering
- Software Design & Software Reuse
- Software Architectural Design
- Component-Level Design in Software Engineering
- User Interface Design in Software Engineering
- Software Verification & Validation
- Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 307: Software Engineering