About This Chapter
Software Verification & Validation - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for an overview of software verification and validation, take a look at this chapter's bite-sized computer science lessons. Inside, you'll review short and engaging lessons that cover the foundations of network security, system reliability, reliability engineering, formal software development techniques and much more. We've included short quizzes throughout the chapter to help you reinforce your understanding of the material. You can access these resources on any computer or mobile device, and we encourage you to use the Ask the Expert feature if you need any help with the chapter material. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Evaluate software requirements validation techniques
- Assess the principles and purpose of dependability properties
- Describe formal software development methods
- Explain the purpose of reliability engineering
- Outline the best practices for reliability programming
- Measure system performance and reliability
- Compare information security types
- Test network security
1. Software Requirements Validation: Process & Techniques
In this lesson we will learn about software validation and verification, an aspect of project management in which requirements and processes of new software are analyzed to verify that the product meets certain specifications and functions correctly.
2. Dependability Properties of Systems: Principles & Purpose
In this lesson, we will define dependability (trustworthiness) of an information system. You will be able to explain the five facets of dependability and the importance of this measure.
3. Formal Methods of Software Development
In this lesson, we'll look at formal methods of software development, why the industry is reluctant to adopt them, and ways to avoid software errors. By the time you are done, you should have a more complete understanding of this interesting topic.
4. Reliability Engineering: Definition & Purpose
In this lesson, you will be learn about reliability engineering. You will also learn about it's objectives, how it is implemented and how it can be measured.
5. Best Practices when Programming for Reliability
Programmers have developed a series of best practices when programming to ensure reliability, longevity and maintainability of developed code. In this lesson, we will look at a number of best practices used in the world of programming that can be applied irrespective of the programming language used.
6. How to Measure Systems Performance Reliability
System performance can have a direct business impact. This lesson will cover the methods for measuring system performance and reliability, providing examples.
7. Types of Information Security
In this lesson, we will discuss information security and cover the eight different types of security. The arrangement of information security into these different types aligns with one of the most common information security certifications, CISSP.
8. How to Test Network Security
A network is the foundation of most businesses these days. In this lesson, we'll take a look at network security: what it is, how to test it, and some tools that can be used for testing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 307: Software Engineering course
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Process Models in Software Engineering
- Development & Testing Methods in Software Engineering
- Agile Development in Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & System Models
- Software Requirements Engineering
- Software Design & Software Reuse
- Software Architectural Design
- Component-Level Design in Software Engineering
- User Interface Design in Software Engineering
- Software Management
- Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 307: Software Engineering