About This Chapter
Solar Radiation and Energy - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter look at types of energy, such as thermal and solar energy, and the principles governing them. You'll review information on the properties of electromagnetic waves and explore blackbody radiation theory.
Other lessons look at the solar constant, Earth's rotation and solar energy. Our instructors also go over the energy transfer process. When you've completed these lessons, you should be prepared to:
- Look at how kinetic and potential energy are related
- Define solar radiation and thermal energy
- State the properties and regions of electromagnetic waves
- Give the particulars of Wien's Law and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
- Analyze the inverse square law in weather
- Discuss the effects of the rotation and revolution of the Earth
- Show how solar energy impacts the Earth's temperature
- Explain absorption, reflection and scattering in the solar radiation transfer process
You can study these lessons as your schedule permits, watching on a computer, smartphone or tablet. Self-assessment quizzes follow each of the brief video lessons, letting you check your knowledge. Video tags embedded in the lessons let you locate key topics and terms in the lessons for further review. Each lesson includes a transcript that lets you read along with the narrator or quickly identify key terms.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
5. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
6. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources, Properties & Regions
Electromagnetic waves power everything from your computer's Internet connection to your radio to atomic weapons. In this lesson, we'll look at the entire spectrum, as well as how they are formed and characteristics of each group of waves.
7. What Are Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?
This lesson will explain why an object glows and why it changes color with temperature as we take a look at blackbodies, electromagnetic radiation, Wien's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.
8. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
9. The Solar Constant & Inverse Square Law in Weather
In this lesson, we will explore the solar constant and the inverse square law as they pertain to how much energy is absorbed by Earth's atmosphere and how it affects weather and climate. You can test yourself at the end with a brief quiz.
10. Effects of the Earth's Rotation & Revolution
This lesson explores the factors that influence seasons, daylight, and temperatures on our planet, including rotation and radiation. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
11. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
12. Solar Radiation Transfer: Absorption, Reflection & Scattering
The sun constantly showers Earth with radiation. Some is absorbed, some is reflected, and some is scattered by the atmosphere. Here, we will explore what happens to this radiation and finish with a brief quiz.
13. The Energy Transfer Process & Solar Radiation
Solar radiation is the reason that Earth is a hospitable planet for life. In this video lesson, you'll learn about this important energy source, as well as how energy is transferred and how this movement affects both regional and global temperatures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Earth Science (008): Practice and Study Guide course
- Foundations of Scientific Inquiry
- Laboratory Equipment and Procedures
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Earth and Sky
- The Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy and Cycle
- The Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravitation
- Star Types & Significance
- Measuring the Characteristics of Stars
- Layout, Formation and Dating of the Solar System
- Characteristics of Our Solar System's Planets
- The Milky Way Galaxy
- Key Theories of the Universe
- The Atmospheric Cycle
- Atmospheric Moisture and Effects on Precipitation
- Air Distribution & Movement
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Weather Conditions and Disturbances
- Causes and Effects of Climate Change
- Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Tectonic Plates
- Weathering & Erosion
- Geologic Time & Dating
- Water Cycle & Balance
- Flowing Water
- Ground Water Systems
- Oceans & Shorelines
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- NYSTCE Earth Science Flashcards