About This Chapter
Solar Radiation, Energy & Electromagnetic Waves - Chapter Summary
The activities of this chapter have been compiled to aid you in your review of solar radiation, solar energy and electromagnetic waves. Start your review by watching the series of lesson videos taught by expert instructors about the theories and laws that are used to explain what we know about these forms of energy. After these videos you should have a better understanding of:
- The necessity for energy
- Solar radiation, thermal energy and solar energy
- Properties of electromagnetic waves
- Seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Wien's Law
- Stefan-Boltzmann Law
- Blackbody and Blackbody Radiation Theory
- Inverse Square Law in weather
To fortify your comprehension of the material presented in these chapters, complete the self-assessment quizzes that accompany these lesson videos. Also use your quiz results to find out what topics you haven't fully mastered, then reinforce your understanding of these topics with video tags or the lesson transcripts. If at any time you have any questions about any of the subjects presented in this chapter, be sure to send them to our instructors for clarification.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
3. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
4. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
5. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
6. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
7. What Are Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?
This lesson will explain why an object glows and why it changes color with temperature as we take a look at blackbodies, electromagnetic radiation, Wien's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.
8. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
9. The Solar Constant & Inverse Square Law in Weather
In this lesson, we will explore the solar constant and the inverse square law as they pertain to how much energy is absorbed by Earth's atmosphere and how it affects weather and climate. You can test yourself at the end with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Earth Science (AZ045): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Earth & Space Science
- Nature of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Space Science Technology
- Laboratory Safety & Procedures
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Time & Dating in Geology
- Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Physical & Chemical Properties of Earth's Minerals
- Rocks & Minerals
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Biogeochemical Cycles
- Earth's Hydrologic Cycle
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Atmospheric Structure & Energy Transfer
- The Ozone Layer, Climate Change & Air Pollution
- Season & Climate Classifications
- Earth's Climate System: Wind, Air Masses & El Nino
- Weather Conditions & Severe Weather Phenomena
- Weather Forecasting and Analysis
- Characteristics of Ocean Water, Currents & Waves
- The Earth & the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies of the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types and Significance
- Characteristics of Stars
- Structure of the Milky Way Galaxy
- The Universe: Key Concepts & Theories
- AEPA Earth Science Flashcards