About This Chapter
Solar Radiation, Energy & Light - Chapter Summary
The lessons and quizzes in this chapter can help you brush up on your knowledge of the properties of solar radiation and solar energy as well as thermal energy. Our instructors will discuss the sources and characteristics of electromagnetic waves, and you can examine the regions on the electromagnetic system.
A later lesson looks at Wien's law and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. You'll also get information on blackbodies and blackbody radiation theory. After viewing these lessons, you should be capable of:
- Listing some effects of solar radiation
- Defining thermal energy
- Describing solar energy
- Naming sources and properties of electromagnetic waves
- Detailing the seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Analyzing Wien's lawn and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law
- Describing a blackbody and blackbody radiation theory
In these brief lessons, our instructors use examples and humor to make the subjects come alive. While you probably studied most of these topics in your high school and college science classes, some of the information will probably be brand new to you. Our format lets you take as long as you need to review each lesson, and you can study anywhere, on a computer or mobile device.
1. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
2. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
3. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
4. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
5. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
6. What Are Wien's Law & the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?
This lesson will explain why an object glows and why it changes color with temperature as we take a look at blackbodies, electromagnetic radiation, Wien's Law, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.
7. Blackbody & Blackbody Radiation Theory
This lesson will go over the perfect absorber and emitter of radiation, something called a blackbody, as well as the concept of blackbody radiation and electromagnetic radiation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Earth/Space Science (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Earth Science
- Basics of Inquiry & Research in Earth & Space Science
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Laboratory Equipment, Safety & Procedures
- Scientific Tools Used in Earth & Space Science
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Rocks & Minerals
- Effect of Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Geologic Time & Earth's History
- Environmental Impacts of Earth's Natural Resources
- Properties of Water & the Hydrologic Cycle
- Ocean Formation & Characteristics
- Earth's Groundwater
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Global Water Issues
- The Structure & Characteristics of Earth's Atmosphere
- Wind, Air Masses & ENSO in Atmospheric Circulation
- Clouds, Condensation & Precipitation
- Weather Conditions, Patterns & Severe Weather
- Climate Change & Air Pollution
- The Sun-Earth-Moon System
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies in the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- Introduction to the History of Astronomy
- MTTC Earth/Space Science Flashcards