About This Chapter
Solid & Fluid Mechanics - Chapter Summary
This series of short and engaging lessons are lead by our professional instructors who will help you learn more about solid and fluid mechanics. You will review important information about the formula for surface tension and examples of Bernoulli's principle. After these lessons, you should know:
- What elasticity is
- How to calculate the buoyancy of an object
- Methods for determining how viscosity is measured
- The causes of surface tension
- What units are used for pressure
- The definition of density
The video lessons use a timeline feature that makes it easy to watch specific topic areas in any order you prefer. The text lessons have bold terms and phrases so that you know what to focus your studies on. You'll find self-assessment quizzes that allow you to gauge your retention of lesson topics. The results of these quizzes are available immediately and provide a quick link back to the lesson topics you missed. When you are finished with the chapter, you can take the chapter test to gauge your cumulative knowledge before moving forward.
1. Elasticity of Solids: Physics Lab
After completing this lab, you will be able to explain what elasticity is, and complete an investigation to determine the spring constant of a material. A short quiz will follow.
2. What Is Buoyancy? - Explanation & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what buoyancy is and use Archimedes' Principle to calculate the buoyant force on a submerged object. A short quiz will follow.
3. What is Viscosity? - Definition, Measurement & Equation
In this lesson, you will learn about viscosity - what it is, how it is measured, and the equation needed to figure out the viscosity of a fluid. You'll also discover the reasons why viscosity is important.
4. Surface Tension: Definition, Causes, Measurement & Formula
In this lesson, we will look at a couple examples of surface tension. We will learn the definition of surface tension, what causes it, how to measure surface tension, and how to use the surface tension formula.
5. Pressure: Definition, Units, and Conversions
Have you ever wondered what pressure is and how it gets measured? In this lesson, we are going to define pressure and explain some of the units that are used to express measurements of pressure.
6. Density: Definition, Formula & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you'll learn about density, the way in which density can be calculated from mass and volume, and that density of substances are constant. You'll get to calculate densities of various materials in different situations.
7. Bernoulli's Principle: Definition and Examples
Understanding how a moving fluid's speed and pressure change as it flows along is not only important for building airplanes but also for backyard fun. In this video lesson you'll learn about Bernoulli's principle and identify some practical applications of this concept.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Physics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Tools & Methods of Scientific Measurement
- Kinematics & Vectors
- Newtonian Laws of Motion
- Impulse & Momentum
- Work & Energy Theorems in Physics
- Rotation & Angular Momentum
- Gravitational Laws
- Oscillators & Simple Harmonic Motion
- Wave Types & the Doppler Effect
- Heat & Thermodynamics
- Electrostatics & Charge
- Simple Electric Circuits
- Electronic Devices & Components
- Current & Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Optics Overview
- Modern Physics Principles & Theories
- BITSAT Exam - Physics Flashcards