About This Chapter
Solids in Chemistry - Chapter Summary
Enhance your study of solids in chemistry by reviewing engaging lessons that provide an in-depth analysis of the chemical and structural characteristics of solids. Ensure you understand Raoult's Law, crystal structures, the concentration of solutions and much more. In no time, you will have the knowledge to do the following:
- Define the amorphous solid
- Share details about the structure and bonding of the crystalline structure
- Provide the definition and discuss the structure of a crystal lattice
- Identify the parts of crystal structure, and describe patterns created by unit cells
- Describe solution concentration levels, and calculate the concentration of a solution
- Explain the meaning of solubility and how to use a solubility curve
- Detail the process of dissolving gas into other materials
- Discuss Raoult's Law and the basics of colligative properties
If you're concerned that you won't be able to fit your review of solids in chemistry into your busy schedule, don't worry! This chapter offers the flexibility you need to study whenever and wherever your schedule allows. Whether at home or on-the-go, you can examine the lessons and use short quizzes to strengthen your comprehension. Also, benefit from a practice exam that tests your understanding of the entire chapter.
1. Amorphous Solid: Definition & Examples
Have you ever wondered what an amorphous solid is? Continue reading to understand what these types of solids are, and discover why glass is the perfect example of an amorphous solid.
2. Crystalline Structure: Definition, Structure & Bonding
Have you ever wondered how chemical compounds are held together? Did you know that every material has a specific type of structure and bonding? The way these materials are held together determines how it behaves. Read on to learn more about the crystalline structure.
3. Crystal Lattice: Definition & Structure
Did you know crystal solids have a certain arrangement? Learn about this arrangement, called a crystal lattice, and explore their structures. Test yourself at the end of this lesson by taking a short quiz.
4. Crystal Structures and the Unit Cell
This crystallography lesson explores the structure and properties of crystals. You'll learn about the parts of a crystal structure, types of crystals and patterns created by unit cells.
5. Concentration of Solutions: Definition & Levels
In this lesson, we learn about solutions and what makes up a solution. We also look at solution concentration levels and how to calculate the concentration of a solution.
6. Solubility and Solubility Curves
Learn what solubility is as well as the definitions of 'saturated,' 'unsaturated' and 'supersaturated.' Learn how to determine the solubility of a substance in water by using a solubility curve. Discover the effects of pressure and temperature on the solubility of liquids, solids and gases.
7. Dissolved Gas: Process & Examples
How and why do we dissolve gas into other materials? In this lesson, explore the principles and process of dissolving gas and discover some of the common uses for this technique. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Colligative Properties and Raoult's Law
Learn how vapor pressure and osmotic pressure are colligative properties. Learn Raoult's Law and how to use it to determine the vapor pressure of a solution. Learn the equation for determining osmotic pressure and how to use it to determine the molar mass of a substance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards