About This Chapter
Solutions & Mixtures in Chemistry- Chapter Summary
This chapter explores solutions and mixtures through different lessons. These lessons are filled with a great deal of information that can help you review everything you need to know about these chemistry topics. The chapter addresses the following topics:
- How hydrogen bonds explain the properties of water
- Difference between solutions, solutes and solvents
- Why saturation levels affect change
- How to find the pH of solutions
- Difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures
By going through all of the lessons in this chapter, you will complete a thorough review of mixtures and solutions. The lessons are filled with terms and phrases in bold. This was done to emphasize the importance of specific information in this chapter. When you are done with each lesson, take the lesson quizzes to assess your knowledge and to make sure you are retaining the material.
1. Properties of Water
Why does ice float? Why can water rise on its own against gravity in a small tube? Find out how these mysterious properties of water can be explained by hydrogen bonds.
2. Solutions, Solutes, and Solvents
Oh no! Your friend Ben just drank chili oil on a dare, and now his mouth is burning. Should he drink the ice water or vegetable oil to cool his mouth? Quick. Watch this lesson if you aren't sure.
3. Osmosis, Diffusion and Saturation
The cells in our bodies are in constant flux through the processes of osmosis and diffusion. Learn about how saturation levels force change, and why we're lucky they do.
4. Acidic, Basic & Neutral Solutions: Determining pH
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the difference between acidic, basic, and neutral solutions and explain the concept of pH. A short quiz will follow.
5. Homogeneous Mixture: Definition & Examples
We use many types of mixtures in everyday life. In this lesson, you will learn about a type of mixture known as a homogeneous mixture so you will be able to identify them in the future.
6. Heterogeneous Mixture: Definition & Examples
You come into contact with mixtures every day. Most of the foods we eat and drink are some form of mixtures. In this lesson, you will learn about heterogeneous mixtures and the types of heterogeneous mixtures recognized by scientists.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest II (214): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Multiple Subjects Test
- Intro to Properties of Matter
- Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Mechanics, Force & Motion
- Basics of Thermodynamics
- Intro to Waves, Sound & Light
- Energy Conservation & Earth's Resources
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Structure & Function of Human Body Systems
- Plant Biology
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Plant & Animal Life Cycles
- Cell Growth & Division
- Principles of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Orbits & Rotations of Celestial Bodies
- Galaxies, Stars and Solar Systems
- Properties of Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building
- Landforms, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Meteorology & Climate Basics
- The Earth's Water
- Planning & Conducting Scientific Investigations
- Basic Arithmetic Review
- Number Sense & Theory
- Performing Operations with Exponents
- Relations & Functions
- Ratios & Proportional Reasoning
- Graphing & Solving Inequalities
- Creating & Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Graphing Equations
- Operations with Polynomials
- Solving & Factoring Quadratic Equations
- 2D & 3D Geometric Figures
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence in Geometry
- Geometric Measurement
- Data & Surveys in Statistics
- Interpreting Data from Tables & Graphs
- Chance & Probability
- Problem Solving & Mathematical Reasoning
- CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest 2 Flashcards