About This Chapter
Solutions & Solubility- Chapter Summary
This chapter describes information about solutions and solubility. Our professional instructors will make sure you feel comfortable with all of the lessons in this chapter before moving forward to other chapters. By the end of the chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Different types of solutions
- Differences between diluted and concentrated solutions
- Terms such as saturated, unsaturated and supersaturated
- Factors that affect dissolution such as temperature
- Unique features of ionic compounds
- Melting and boiling points of ionic compounds
- Variance in freezing point
Our lessons can be accessed at any time and any where, making your study process, easy, quick and convenient. They are also mobile friendly so you can access them on your home computer or mobile device. We also offer practice questions on the lessons after every single lesson. This allows you to check your knowledge as you progress through the chapter.
1. What is a Solution in Science? - Definition & Examples
The air we breathe, what we drink, as well as products in our household - these are a few examples of solutions we encounter every day. In this lesson, we will discuss what a solution is, the different types, as well as examples.
2. Concentration of Solutions: Definition & Levels
In this lesson, we learn about solutions and what makes up a solution. We also look at solution concentration levels and how to calculate the concentration of a solution.
3. Solubility and Solubility Curves
Learn what solubility is as well as the definitions of 'saturated,' 'unsaturated' and 'supersaturated.' Learn how to determine the solubility of a substance in water by using a solubility curve. Discover the effects of pressure and temperature on the solubility of liquids, solids and gases.
4. The Rate of Dissolution: Factors and Definition
Learn what dissolution is and the factors that affect the rate of dissolution, such as temperature, surface area, polarity and pressure. Learn what miscible and immiscible mean in regards to liquids.
5. What Are Ionic Compounds? - Definition, Examples & Reactions
Ionic compounds are a common, yet special type of chemical compound. In this video lesson, you will learn about their formation and structure and see examples of compounds formed by ions.
6. Ionic Compounds: Formation, Lattice Energy and Properties
In this lesson, you'll learn about ionic compounds and how they form. Additionally, you'll learn the properties of ionic compounds, such as their high melting and boiling points, their ability to conduct electricity, and the fact that they form crystals.
7. Freezing Point Depression: Definition, Equation & Examples
In this lesson, we will describe what it means to have a freezing point depression. We will explain how we determine the new freezing point and show examples of when this is used in the world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards