About This Chapter
Solving Algebraic Equations Overview - Chapter Summary
This Solving Algebraic Equations Overview chapter has been developed to help you increase your understanding in this area. You will get to know about the use of addition and multiplication for equation solving, discover techniques for solving equations when they have infinite solutions or no solution, and learn to solve word problems with one-step algebra equations. Other lesson topics include:
- Linear, quadratic, polynomial algebraic equations and more
- Translations and solutions for one-step equations
- Like terms on one side of an equation
- How to solve an equation that contains parentheses
- Solving multiple-step equations
- Radical equation solving with two radical terms
- Solutions for perfectly cubed equations
We broke this overview up into 5-10 minute long video lessons to allow you to easily log in using a mobile device and complete a lesson anytime you have a few minutes available. We have a feature that allows you to submit questions directly to a Study.com expert whenever you need to.
1. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
2. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
3. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
4. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
5. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
6. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
7. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
8. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
9. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
10. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
11. Solving Radical Equations: Steps and Examples
Solving radical equations is not any more difficult than solving other algebraic equations. This lesson will show you how to solve equations containing a square root and give some real-world examples.
12. Solving Radical Equations with Two Radical Terms
Solving equations with two radical terms takes some patience and care, but it really is not difficult. This lesson will show you the steps to solve these more complicated equations plus give you some examples to follow.
13. How to Solve Perfectly Cubed Equations
Watch this video lesson so you can identify perfectly cubed equations. Learn about the formula that helps you factor them and then to solve them. See how easy it is to use these formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Polynomial Functions
- Operations with Radical Expressions
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Functions Overview
- Solving & Graphing Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing 1 & 2 Variable Inequalities
- Solving & Graphing Quadratics
- Quadratics & Higher Order Polynomials
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Rational Functions & Expressions
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra II Flashcards