About This Chapter
Solving Algebraic Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter reviews a range of algebraic equations, providing you with a fundamental understanding of their components while showing you how to solve them using mathematical tools. Topics include combining like terms, solving one-step equations, and using the multiplication principle, as well as all of the following:
- Writing arithmetic expressions
- Understanding and analyzing math formulas
- Expressing relationships algebraically
- Analyzing and simplifying algebraic expressions
- Dealing with negative signs when simplifying
- Constructing equations with inequalities
- Typical algebraic equations
- The addition principle
- Solving multi-step equations
While this may seem like a lot of material, you'll have an easy time staying organized by means of the dashboard feature, which lets you keep tabs on your recent activity and progress through the chapter. While there, you can also check out relevant practice quizzes and ask questions of our subject experts if you're feeling stuck.
1. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
2. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
3. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
8. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
9. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
10. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
11. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
12. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
13. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
14. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
15. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PCAT: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Verbal Ability: Analogies
- Verbal Ability: Sentence Completion
- Biology: Cell Structure & Division
- Biology: Cellular Processes
- Biology: DNA & Enzymes
- Biology: Genetics
- Animal & Human Behavior
- Biology: Evolution & Natural Selection
- Speciation, Extinction & Taxonomy
- Biology: Intro to Nutrition
- Biology: Nutrition - Carbohydrates
- Biology: Nutrition - Lipids
- Protein in Nutrition
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Biology: Types of Diseases
- Microrganisms & Microbial Ecology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbiology: The Immune System
- Structures of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- The Human Nervous System
- Human Circulatory System Basics
- The Circulatory System, Blood & Blood Vessels
- Respiratory System
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Functions of the Human Digestive System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Integumentary System Overview
- The Five Senses of the Human Body
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Chemical Bonding in Physical Chemistry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Kinetics & Thermodynamics
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Nuclear Processes
- Organic & Inorganic Chemistry
- Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Fractions & Percents
- Linear Equations Overview
- Inequalities Overview
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Basic Statistics & Probability
- Linear Regression & Correlation
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Complex Numbers & Vectors
- Limits of Functions
- Overview of Continuity
- Rate of Change & Calculating Derivatives
- Integrals & Antiderivatives
- PCAT Flashcards