About This Chapter
Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will help jar your memory of the strategies for solving arithmetic and word problems. Once you have viewed the lessons, you can demonstrate your knowledge of the concepts by taking brief and comprehensive quizzes. The following subjects are included in this chapter:
- Way to solve word problems with several steps
- Utilization of models, estimation, and reasonableness to solve math problems
- Strategies for place value to solve multi-digit arithmetic
Please let our instructors know if you have questions about the lessons or quizzes by clicking the 'Help' tab. All of the lessons and quizzes are short and mobile-friendly. Print the worksheets to take with you for offline study.
1. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
2. Using Mathematical Models to Solve Problems
Mathematical modeling simply refers to the creation of mathematical formulas to represent a real world problem in mathematical terms. This lesson reviews the creation and pitfalls of mathematical models.
3. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
4. Using Reasonableness to Solve Math Problems
When solving math problems, checking your possible solution for reasonableness will help you determine whether your possible solution is a real one or if you have done something wrong. Learn how in this lesson.
5. Place Value Strategies for Solving Multi-Digit Arithmetic
In this lesson, you'll learn some strategies based on place values that will make solving math problems easier and faster. You'll see how these strategies work for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards