About This Chapter
Solving Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
From graphing one-variable inequalities to writing linear equations in slope-intercept form, this chapter covers the key concepts involved with solving equations and inequalities. Our fun video lessons take you through the steps of translating equations, solving systems of equations and identifying graphs of lines. Once you complete the videos, you should have the information you need to do the following:
- Translate and solve one-step equations
- Solve multiple-step equations
- Graph one-variable inequalities
- Solve simultaneous linear equations
- Graph linear equations in standard and slope-intercept forms
- Identify graphs of parallel and perpendicular lines
We simplify the learning process so that you can quickly strengthen your knowledge of essential math topics. With the ability to view our lessons on your mobile device, you take our professional instructors with you. They break down complex concepts and provide several practice problems with explanations. After finishing the lessons, you can take multiple-choice quizzes to test your comprehension of the material.
1. Connections Among Proportional Relationships, Lines & Linear Equations
Proportional relationships in mathematics happen when two values always change by the same multiple. If one doubles, the other doubles. This lesson will discuss the connection among proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
2. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
3. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
4. How to Solve and Graph One-Variable Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn that solving inequalities is very similar to solving equations, but the solutions to inequalities are not so similar. Learn how to graph these solutions to better understand inequalities.
5. Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations
In this video lesson, you will learn how to solve simultaneous linear equations or a system of linear equations. Learn the steps you need to take to solve any such system using the Gaussian elimination method.
6. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
7. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
8. Graphs of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines in Linear Equations
When we deal with linear equations, we sometimes come across equations that are parallel to each other or perpendicular to each other. You will see what they look like when graphed in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Program Admission Assessment Test II Mathematics (211): Practice & Study Guide course
- Numbers, Ratios & Fractions
- Solving Different Types of Math Problems
- Evaluating Algebraic Expressions
- Types of Math Functions & Operations
- Constructing Figures in Geometry
- Properties of Triangles & Circles
- Geometric Measurements & Dimensions
- Probability & Variability in Statistics
- GACE Program Admission Assessment Test II: Mathematics Flashcards