About This Chapter
Solving & Graphing 1 & 2 Variable Inequalities - Chapter Summary
This chapter makes it easy to understand how to solve and graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities. Access video and text lessons to explore types of inequalities and the steps involved in solving and graphing them. Lessons are available any time, day or night, and can be viewed from your computer or mobile devices. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- Define an inequality and interval notation
- Understand how to graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities
- Demonstrate how to solve and graph linear inequalities
- Solve 1-step linear inequalities
- Exhibit knowledge of set notation, compound inequalities and systems of inequalities
- Graph inequalities, and solve and graph an absolute value inequality
- Show how to solve 'and' and 'or' compound inequalities and solve and graph 1-variable inequalities
- Display an ability to translate math sentences to inequalities
Top instructors have developed fun video and text lessons that are both highly informative and engaging. Review these lessons in the sequence that will help you more easily understand how to solve and graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities. At any time, test your knowledge of the lessons by taking short self-assessment quizzes. If you have questions about topics covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. Interval Notation: Definition & Examples
This lesson defines interval notation and explains how to write sets in interval notation. It also explores the various types of intervals, including open and closed intervals.
3. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
4. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
5. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
6. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
7. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
8. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
9. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
10. How to Solve 'And' & 'Or' Compound Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn the difference between a conjunction and a disjunction and how to solve and graph 'and' and 'or' inequalities on the number line.
11. How to Solve and Graph One-Variable Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn that solving inequalities is very similar to solving equations, but the solutions to inequalities are not so similar. Learn how to graph these solutions to better understand inequalities.
12. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Polynomial Functions
- Solving Algebraic Equations Overview
- Operations with Radical Expressions
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Functions Overview
- Solving & Graphing Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing Quadratics
- Quadratics & Higher Order Polynomials
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Rational Functions & Expressions
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra II Flashcards