About This Chapter
Solving & Graphing Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a comprehensive overview of the steps involved in solving and graphing equations and inequalities. Top instructors have developed entertaining lessons you can use to understand how to solve two-variable inequalities, systems of equations, linear equations and more. Once you've reviewed this chapter's lessons, you will be able to:
- Understand equations and solutions by using reasoning
- Use substitution to solve a system of equations
- Solve and graph two-variable inequalities
- Graph to solve linear equations and systems of linear equations
- Solve and graph linear inequalities
If you are concerned about your ability to fit this chapter into your busy schedule, don't fret! Lessons are accessible anytime and can be reviewed in any sequence you desire. Learn about the steps involved in solving and graphing equations and inequalities, and test your knowledge of these concepts anytime by taking short lesson quizzes. If you have questions about chapter topics, be sure to send them to our experts.
1. Using Reasoning to Understand Equations & Solutions
To solve equations, we isolate the desired variable on one side of the equation using a set of rules. This lesson will explain the reasoning behind these rules and allow us to see why we can use them.
2. How to Solve a System of Equations by Substitution
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of equations by using the substitution method. Learn the key to using the substitution method and take a quiz to practice your new skills.
3. Solving and Graphing Two-Variable Inequalities
With an inequality like y < 2x - 3, where do we start? We can look at y = 2x - 3 and graph it. We can use the graph to define all of the possible solutions.
4. How to Solve Linear Equations By Graphing
This lesson will give a quick review of systems of linear equations and their solutions. We will then look at taking an example through a step-by-step process that allows us to solve a system of linear equations by graphing.
5. How to Solve Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing
Systems of linear equations are important in many branches of math and science, so knowing how to solve them is important. In this lesson, learn one way to find the solution of a system of linear equations by graphing.
6. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Algebraic Units & Modeling
- Structure of Mathematical Expressions
- Polynomial Operations Basics
- Creating Equations, Inequalities & Expressions
- Understanding Data Using Statistics
- Interpreting Linear Models
- Understanding Functions
- Interpreting, Analyzing & Graphing Functions
- Building Linear & Exponential Functions
- Basics of Rational & Irrational Numbers
- Quadratic & Polynomial Equations
- About the NY Regents Examinations
- NY Regents Exam - Algebra I Flashcards