About This Chapter
Solving & Graphing Quadratics - Chapter Summary
Let our experts present you with information on solving and graphing quadratics. You will discover problem-solving methods and learn about the proper use of the quadratic formula. Get details about factoring to solve a quadratic equation, the definition of a parabola, and standard, vertex, and intercept forms of a parabola. Additional topics include:
- Definition, equation and proof of the quadratic formula
- Quadratic formula examples
- Finding a solution for quadratic inequalities using two binomials
- Completion of a square
- Quadratic trinomials and factoring
- Solutions for quadratics not in standard form
- Reflections: graphing across axes, the origin, and line Y=X
- Quadratic equations, square roots and graphing
The fact that the lessons are broken up into short chunks makes it easy to make continuous progress on your study program. Whenever you have a few minutes, log in using your mobile device and go through some of the lessons. Track your progress on your dashboard.
1. What is the Quadratic Formula? - Definition, Equation & Proof
The quadratic formula is a method that is used to find the roots of a quadratic equation. In this lesson, you will learn about the history of the quadratic formula, how to use it, and prove it. A quiz at the end will solidify what you've learned.
2. The Quadratic Formula: Definition & Example
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the quadratic formula to solve certain types of problems. Learn what kinds of equations you can solve using this formula as well as how easy it is to use this formula.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. Solving Problems using the Quadratic Formula
The quadratic formula is not as complicated as it may look. You can learn to tackle this formula and succeed in using it to help you solve your quadratic problems. Watch this video to see how.
5. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
6. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
7. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
8. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
9. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
10. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
11. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
12. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
13. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
14. How to Graph Reflections Across Axes, the Origin, and Line y=x
A graph can be reflected in three ways - across the axes, the origin and the line y = x. There are specific rules to perform each reflection. This lesson will describe those rules and show you how to perform these reflections.
15. Solving Quadratic Equations with Square Roots or Graphing the Function
Quadratic equations can be solved in many ways, including taking square roots and graphing the function. In this lesson, learn how to use these techniques to solve quadratic equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Polynomial Functions
- Solving Algebraic Equations Overview
- Operations with Radical Expressions
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Functions Overview
- Solving & Graphing Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing 1 & 2 Variable Inequalities
- Quadratics & Higher Order Polynomials
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Rational Functions & Expressions
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra II Flashcards