About This Chapter
Solving Problems Involving Systems of Measurement - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline how to solve problems involving systems of measurement in this helpful chapter. These lessons discuss the metric system as well as the process of converting units of measure and units of time. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Name the standard measurement units for time, weight, length and capacity
- Understand how to convert standard units of measurement
- Identify the units of the metric system
- Use estimation to solve measurement problems
- Detail the U.S. customary units used to measure capacity, distance and weight
- Explain the process used to convert units of time
We've made it easy for you to study anytime you'd like with our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes, accessible 24 hours a day. Our video lessons are short, generally less than 10 minutes long, and accompanied by a multiple-choice quiz to help you gauge your comprehension. Feel free to go back and review a specific section of a video lesson using the video tabs feature found in the Timeline.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
4. Solving Measurement Problems with Estimation
In this lesson, we will explain what measurement problems are and show how to solve measurement problems using estimation. We will also look at using conversion facts when solving measurement problems with estimation.
5. U.S. Customary Units to Measure Capacity
After watching this video lesson, you will know how capacity or volume is measured in the U.S. You will know the units that are used as well as how to convert between the units.
6. U.S. Customary Units to Measure Distance
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the units for measuring distance are in the United States and how to convert between the units. You will see that there is a special number for each conversion.
7. U.S. Customary Units to Measure Weight
Watch this video lesson to learn how the U.S. measures weight and how you can convert between them. Learn the conversion numbers that you need for each conversion along with the proper operation.
8. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science (088): Practice & Study Guide course
- Working with Real Numbers
- Fractions, Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Understanding Number Theory & Estimation
- Overview of Basic Algebra
- Patterns & Sequences in Algebra
- Characteristics & Relationships of Functions
- Solving Basic Geometric Problems
- Points, Lines, Rays & Angles
- Solving Angle Problems with Triangles & Quadrilaterals
- Geometric Relationships in the Coordinate Plane
- Displaying & Interpreting Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Statistical Models & Processes
- Understanding Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- Atoms, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Concepts of Mechanics Overview
- Electricity & Magnetism Overview
- Waves & Optics Overview
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Understanding Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Rocks, Minerals & Soil Overview
- Earth's Structure, Shape & Processes
- Historical Geology
- Understanding the Earth's Oceans
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate, Seasons & Geography
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science Flashcards