About This Chapter
Solving Quadratic Equations & Functions - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to get practice solving quadratic equations and functions. These simple and informative math lessons show you everything you need to know about the quadratic formula, factoring, completing the square and more. The chapter includes interactive self-assessment quizzes to help you practice solving these types of math problems. If you have any questions, feel free to submit them to our instructors online. You can also use any Internet-connected device to access the chapter. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Solve non-standard form quadratics
- Use the quadratic formula
- Apply factoring to solve quadratic equations
- Factor quadratic equations using several methods
- Explain the process of completing the square
1. Quadratic Functions: Examples & Formula
Learn what sets quadratic functions apart from all other functions. Learn how you can spot a quadratic just by looking at its graph. Also learn the two formulas that will help you when working with them.
2. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
3. How to Write Quadratic Functions
In the real world, you won't always be given equations as you are in textbooks. Often, you'll need to find equations using a few points or other pieces of data. Learn how to find and write quadratic equations.
4. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
5. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
6. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
7. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
8. Graphing Quadratic Functions by Factoring
To graph a quadratic function, it is very helpful to know the zeros of that function. One means of finding the zeros is to factor the function and then use the linear factors to solve for the zeros.
9. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
10. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Business Mathematics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Number Sense
- Basics of Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions
- Probability and Statistics for Business
- Depreciation & Salvage Values
- Interest & Purchases
- Using Math for Financial Analysis
- Business Costs, Taxes & Inventory Valuations
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Business Mathematics Flashcards