About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Algebra I Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to use the quadratic formula. There is no faster or easier way to learn about solving quadratics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about quadratic equations in both standard and non-standard form or quadratic inequalities.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and the Solving Quadratics unit exam on matter confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Solving Quadratics Unit Objectives:
- Apply the greatest common factor to a quadratic equation.
- Apply the multiplication property of zero to a quadratic equation.
- Use two binomials to solve a quadratic inequality.
- Discover how to solve a quadratic equation in non-standard form.
1. What is a Quadratic Equation? - Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to learn that quadratic equations are an important part of the world we live in. We sometimes even make use of them for our entertainment! Watch this video lesson to learn more about these equations.
2. Solving Quadratics: Assigning the Greatest Common Factor and Multiplication Property of Zero
When it comes to solving quadratics, we have at our disposal several methods. Watch this video lesson to learn one such method you can use to solve quadratics that don't have a constant term.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
5. Solving Quadratic Inequalities Using Two Binomials
Watch this video lesson to learn what simple steps you can take to solve quadratic inequalities using two binomials. See how it only requires a few steps to solve quadratic inequalities using this method.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Basic Arithmetic Review: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Math Word Problems: Homeschool Curriculum
- Decimals & Fractions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent Notation: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Simplifying Square Roots: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Composing Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Matrices & Absolute Value: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working With Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Exponents: Homeschool Curriculum
- Imaginary Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Algebraic Distribution: Homeschool Curriculum
- Writing Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Factoring in Algebra: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing & Factoring Quadratic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Properties of Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Rational Expressions & Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Cubic Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Measurement & Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Percent & Proportions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Homeschool Curriculum
- Well-Known Equations: Homeschool Curriculum