About This Chapter
Solving Real World Math Problems - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter make it easy for you understand how to solve real world math problems. Review them in any sequence from your smartphone, tablet or computer to ensure you have full comprehension of how to convert units of time, calculate taxes, and use the distance formula. Practice problems in this chapter reinforce the concepts you've reviewed. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Demonstrate the process of solving problems with time
- Explain how to count time and convert between units of time
- Share how to solve word problems involving money
- Calculate discounts and taxes
- Describe units for mass and volume, and convert from one unit system to another
- Find the distance between two points on a graph
Watch the videos whenever convenient to strengthen your understanding of how to solve real world math problems at a comfortable pace. If you need to revisit concepts within the lessons, use the video timeline to identify and skip to key topics. Test your knowledge of lesson concepts by taking multiple-choice quizzes. If you answer any quiz question incorrectly, simply click the link next to the answer to revisit the related portion of the video.
1. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
2. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
3. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
4. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
5. Mass and Volume: Formulas, Unit Conversion & Practice Problems
Learn about how mass and volume are connected by a special formula, how to calculate volumes of common 3D shapes, and how to convert between different units of mass and volume. Complete some practice problems and perfect your skills.
6. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards