About This Chapter
Solving Word Problems - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, multiple ways to solve word problems are introduced, including a simple, three-step process to visualize and tackle the problem. You'll be presented with instruction on how to solve more complicated, multiple-step problems, as well as information on how to personalize and restate word problems in order to better understand them. You will learn to work backwards to solve complicated word problems in the next lesson.
Important tools to calculate velocity, time and distance in word problems are also introduced. Your study continues with information on how to solve ratio word problems and how to use scatterplots to tackle tough problems. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Follow a three-step visualization process to answer word problems
- Solve complicated, multi-step word problems
- Problem solve using personalization
- Use images and sketches to help you visualize and solve a problem
- Work backwards to solve math word problems
- Calculate time, distance and velocity
- Work out word problems containing ratios
- Utilize scatterplots to solve word problems
Our professionally-designed lessons are accompanied by quizzes to help you assess how well you understand the material. To jump directly to a specific spot in one of our videos, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline. Print out a lesson transcript to review the lesson offline at any time. If you have questions along the way, contact one of our instructors for help.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
3. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
4. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
5. Working Backwards to Solve Word Problems
There are many ways to go about solving word problems in mathematics. This lesson will illustrate a particular solving process called working backwards. We'll see how and when to use this process to solve word problems.
6. Word Problems Involving Time, Distance & Velocity
Knowing how long something takes, how far away something is, and how fast you need to travel, are all important factors in your day. This lesson will give you the tools to calculate time, distance, and velocity in word problems.
7. How to Solve Ratio Word Problems
We see ratios all around us every day. From the grocery store, to forecasting into the future, to enlarging or shrinking pictures, a command of ratios can be a powerful math tool. In this lesson, learn how to solve word problems with ratios in them.
8. How to Use Scatter Plots to Solve Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use a scatter plot to help you solve a word problem. You will see how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have your scatter plot.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the QTS Professional Skills Test - Numeracy: Practice & Test Prep course
- About the QTS Numeracy Skills Test
- Basic Math Operations & Mental Math
- Fractions, Decimals & Percentages
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Understanding Graphs & Charts
- Interpreting & Analyzing Data Sets
- Units, Measurements & Conversions
- The Mathematics of Money
- QTS Professional Skills Test - Numeracy Flashcards