About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering abnormal psychology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about abnormal psychology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the causes and treatment options for somatoform disorders
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning psychology (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about somatoform disorders
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra psychology learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any somatoform disorders question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a somatoform unit of a standard abnormal psychology course. Topics covered include:
- Conversion disorder
- Somatization disorder
- Pain disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Undifferentiated somatoform disorders
1. Somatoform Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
What happens when psychological pain becomes physical pain? In this lesson, we'll look at the category of mental illness known as somatoform disorders, including the history and current views on them.
2. Conversion Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Have you ever heard the expression 'mind over matter?' Well, that pretty much describes conversion disorder. In this lesson, we'll learn about the history, symptoms, causes, and treatment of the mental illness known as conversion disorder.
3. Somatic Symptom Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone has symptoms of being ill, but doctors can't find anything wrong with them? They might have somatic symptom disorder (SSD). In this lesson, we'll look closely at the symptoms, causes, and treatment of somatic symptom disorder.
4. Pain Disorder: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
When you think of something called pain disorder, it may sound like a purely physical disorder. Interestingly enough, it is actually classified as a mental disorder. Find out more in this lesson.
5. Hypochondriasis: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone believes they are dying, even though they're healthy? In this lesson, we will look at hypochondriasis, including what it is, what causes it, and how it is treated.
6. Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
For some people, the person in the mirror is not aligned with reality. In this lesson, we'll look closer at body dysmorphic disorder, its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
7. Other Somatoform Disorders: Undifferentiated and Not Otherwise Specified
What happens when someone has physical symptoms without a physical cause? In this lesson, we'll look at undifferentiated and not otherwise specified somatoform disorders, including what they are and diagnostic issues surrounding them.
8. Hypochondria: Definition, Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
When we have severe headaches or rashes, we might search symptoms or causes online to give us an idea of what we might have. People with hypochondria (hypochondriasis) do this obsessively. Severe hypochondria can interfere with a normal, healthy lifestyle.
9. What Are Sleep Disorders? - Symptoms & Causes
Next to working, people spend the majority of their time sleeping. In this lesson, you'll learn about common sleep disorders as well as the symptoms and causes of each, and you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Help and Review
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Help and Review
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Help and Review
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Help and Review
- Help & Review for the Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Help and Review
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Help and Review
- Clinical Assessment: Help and Review
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Help and Review
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Stress Disorders: Help and Review
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Help and Review
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Help and Review
- Substance Use Disorders: Help and Review
- Psychotic Disorders: Help and Review
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Help and Review
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Factitious Disorders: Help and Review
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Help and Review
- Cognitive, Social & Emotional Development