About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the elements of somatoform disorders, causes, common symptoms and treatments, or any other somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about somatoform disorders in abnormal psychology on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define somatoform disorders.
- Describe the causes and treatment of conversion disorder.
- Understand what causes somatization disorder, and learn how to treat it.
- Examine the symptoms and treatment of pain disorder.
- Explain what causes hypochondriasis, and describe the treatment protocol for this disorder.
- Discuss the causes and treatment of body dysmorphic disorder.
- Learn about the classification issues with undifferentiated and not otherwise specified somatoform disorders.
1. Somatoform Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
What happens when psychological pain becomes physical pain? In this lesson, we'll look at the category of mental illness known as somatoform disorders, including the history and current views on them.
2. Conversion Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Have you ever heard the expression 'mind over matter?' Well, that pretty much describes conversion disorder. In this lesson, we'll learn about the history, symptoms, causes, and treatment of the mental illness known as conversion disorder.
3. Somatic Symptom Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone has symptoms of being ill, but doctors can't find anything wrong with them? They might have somatic symptom disorder (SSD). In this lesson, we'll look closely at the symptoms, causes, and treatment of somatic symptom disorder.
4. Pain Disorder: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
When you think of something called pain disorder, it may sound like a purely physical disorder. Interestingly enough, it is actually classified as a mental disorder. Find out more in this lesson.
5. Hypochondriasis: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone believes they are dying, even though they're healthy? In this lesson, we will look at hypochondriasis, including what it is, what causes it, and how it is treated.
6. Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
For some people, the person in the mirror is not aligned with reality. In this lesson, we'll look closer at body dysmorphic disorder, its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
7. Other Somatoform Disorders: Undifferentiated and Not Otherwise Specified
What happens when someone has physical symptoms without a physical cause? In this lesson, we'll look at undifferentiated and not otherwise specified somatoform disorders, including what they are and diagnostic issues surrounding them.
8. What Is Body Dysmorphic Disorder? - Treatment, Symptoms, Causes & Definition
How many times have you thought about that one characteristic that you don't like about yourself? For those with body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), thinking about imperfections is a daily obsession. It can turn into the focus of each day, and if ignored, even their whole lives.
9. What Is Conversion Disorder? - Treatment, Symptoms, Definition & Causes
Have you ever heard the expression 'it's all in your head'? For those suffering from conversion disorder this is the case, even when very seemingly real physical symptoms are experienced. Read on to find out more about this rare disorder and a recent case in which it was reported in mass numbers in New York.
10. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome vs. Depression
This lesson discusses the challenge of overlapping symptoms found in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and depression, as well as their unique characteristics that set them apart from each other.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution