About This Chapter
Have you ever felt sure there was something wrong with your health but couldn't pinpoint the problem? For some, the experience of undiagnosable physical symptoms can be so severe that it rises to the level of a psychological disorder. Lessons in this chapter will explore somatoform disorders and their history within the field of abnormal psychology. Our instructor will also address specific types of somatoform disorders, discussing their causes and the methods for treating them. Students who complete this chapter should be able to:
- Understand the concept of somatoform disorders and how they're viewed by psychologists
- Define hypochondriasis, somatization disorder, pain disorder, and body dysmorphic disorder
- Identify issues related to classifying somatoform disorders
- Explain the causes and common treatments for somatoform disorders
|Somatoform Disorders: Definition and Perspectives||Define somatoform disorders and discuss the current and historical views on it.|
|Conversion Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss the definition, causes, and treatment for conversion disorder.|
|Somatization Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss the definition, causes, and treatment for somatization disorder.|
|Pain Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss the definition, causes, and treatment for pain disorder associated with psychological factors.|
|Hypochondriasis: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss the definition, causes, and treatment for hypochondriasis.|
|Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment||Discuss the definition, causes, and treatment for body dysmorphic disorder.|
|Other Somatoform Disorders: Undifferentiated and Not Otherwise Specified||Discuss the undifferentiated somatoform disorder and somatoform disorder not otherwise specified to see how a person may be given these diagnoses instead of a diagnosis for a specific somatoform disorder.|
1. Somatoform Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
What happens when psychological pain becomes physical pain? In this lesson, we'll look at the category of mental illness known as somatoform disorders, including the history and current views on them.
2. Conversion Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
Have you ever heard the expression 'mind over matter?' Well, that pretty much describes conversion disorder. In this lesson, we'll learn about the history, symptoms, causes, and treatment of the mental illness known as conversion disorder.
3. Somatization Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone has symptoms of being ill, but doctors can't find anything wrong with them? They might have somatization disorder. In this lesson, we'll look closely at the symptoms, causes, and treatment of somatization disorder.
4. Hypochondriasis: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What happens when someone believes they are dying, even though they're healthy? In this lesson, we will look at hypochondriasis, including what it is, what causes it, and how it is treated.
5. Body Dysmorphic Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
For some people, the person in the mirror is not aligned with reality. In this lesson, we'll look closer at body dysmorphic disorder, its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
6. Other Somatoform Disorders: Undifferentiated and Not Otherwise Specified
What happens when someone has physical symptoms without a physical cause? In this lesson, we'll look at undifferentiated and not otherwise specified somatoform disorders, including what they are and diagnostic issues surrounding them.
7. Pain Disorder: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
When you think of something called pain disorder, it may sound like a purely physical disorder. Interestingly enough, it is actually classified as a mental disorder. Find out more in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology course
- Intro to Abnormal Psychology
- Clinical Research for Abnormal Psychology
- The Biological Model of Abnormality
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior
- The Diathesis-Stress Model
- Clinical Assessment in Abnormal Psychology
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology
- Stress Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders
- Substance Use Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Cognitive Disorders
- Lifespan Development Disorders
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology
- Factitious Disorders
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology
- Studying for Psychology 106