About This Chapter
1. Transmission of Light: Definition & Overview
This lesson will explain what is meant by 'transmission of light,' discuss the ways that light can be transmitted through a medium, and also explore how light is measured.
2. Transverse Wave: Definition, Parts & Examples
This lesson will define transverse waves, discuss the names for various features and parts of a transverse wave, and go through some examples of transverse waves in the world. A short quiz will follow.
3. Wave Period: Definition & Formula
Waves are all around us - we can see them in water, and we encounter them everyday in the form of sound waves and microwaves. The cycle of a wave can be fast or slow, and this is determined by the wave period, which is the main focus of this lesson.
4. Wave Rarefaction: Definition & Curves
This lesson will explain what a wave rarefaction is and how it forms. In order to do that, we will discuss what waves are in general and how longitudinal waves contain rarefactions.
5. What are Decibels? - Definition & Examples
Have you ever heard of decibels? Do you ever wonder what they are and how they are used? This lesson explains what decibels are and provides examples of how they are used.
6. What Are Gamma Rays? - Definition & Examples
Explore gamma rays and where they fit in relationship to other forms of electromagnetic energy, such as radio waves and x-rays. Learn what events and celestial bodies produce gamma rays, from nuclear explosions to supernovas.
7. What are Sound Waves? - Definition, Types & Uses
This lesson will explain what sound waves are, discuss features of sound waves, and provide some examples and uses they have in everyday life. A short quiz will follow.
8. What is a Prism? - Definition & Refraction
In this lesson, you'll learn about the prism and what prisms do to white light. You'll explore the properties of light waves, as well as the concept of refraction, which causes white light to bend in a prism and spread out into the different spectrum of colors.
9. What is Amplitude? - Definition & Frequency
Discover practical examples of waves and the significance of wave amplitude. Learn about the relationship between frequency and wavelength and how they relate to the amplitude of the wave.
10. What Is Frequency? - Definition, Spectrum & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn what frequency is, and how that is observed by our senses both in terms of light (the electromagnetic spectrum) and sound. A short quiz will follow.
11. What is the Law of Reflection of Light? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson you will learn about the concept of reflection, including one of the simplest laws of physics, the law of reflection. You will learn about the main features of the law of reflection as well as some application and facts about reflection in general.
12. What is Ultraviolet Light? - Definition, Wavelength & Uses
Ultraviolet light is invisible to the human eye but is very important for life. In this lesson, we'll learn where UV light comes from, how it affects living things, and how it is used in many other applications.
13. What is Visible Light? - Wavelength & Spectrum
In this lesson you will learn about the electromagnetic spectrum and where visible light can be found in that spectrum. You will learn about the properties of visible light such as the range of wavelengths and frequencies that make up the visible spectrum.
14. White Light: Definition, Source & Spectrum
In this lesson, you will learn about what white light is made up of and how to extract the components of white light through the process of dispersion. You will look at some of the properties of white light, like the spectrum of wavelengths and frequencies that make it up.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the General Studies Science: Help & Review course
- Chemical Compounds & Bonds Overview
- Drawing Conclusions from a Scientific Investigation
- Electricity Fundamentals & Overview
- Energy & Heat Overview
- Essential Biology Concepts
- Essential Chemistry Concepts
- Essential Concepts in Physics
- Evolutionary Principles
- Food Webs Overview
- Foundations of Chemical Compounds & Bonds
- Foundations of Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases
- Foundations of Energy & Heat
- Foundations of Magnetism
- Fundamentals of Mechanics
- Lab Equipment for Scientific Study
- Measurement & the Metric System Fundamentals
- Nuclear Energy Fundamentals
- Planning a Scientific Investigation Or Experiment
- Plant & Soil Ecology
- Populations & Relationships in Ecology
- Studying Biological Communities
- The Periodic Table, Atoms & Elements
- Using Data for Investigation & Experimentation