About This Chapter
Sources & Functions of Nutrients - Chapter Summary
Our professionals created this chapter on the sources and functions of nutrients. As you work through it, you'll watch videos on the functions of minerals, examples of nutrients and foods that supply lipids. After you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Define nutrients with examples
- Identify food sources containing minerals
- Describe the functions of vitamins
- Discuss food sources for proteins
- Outline the intake guidelines for carbohydrates
- Name foods that are sources of lipids
- Define nutrient deficiencies
You can access this chapter and the lessons in it on any mobile device or computer whenever you like. The lesson quizzes and chapter test are a helpful test prep resource to help you identify any areas that need more of your attention. If you have any questions, our experts can be reached via the Dashboard.
1. What Are Nutrients? - Definition & Examples
This lesson is about nutrients, which are the building blocks of all living organisms. This lesson will explain what nutrients are, the different kinds of nutrients and offer examples of each.
2. Minerals: Functions & Food Sources
Have you ever wondered the role and function that minerals play in our nutrition? Learn more about minerals and their sources and test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Vitamins: Functions & Food Sources
Have you ever wondered the role and function that vitamins play in our nutrition? Learn more about vitamins and their sources and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Proteins: Food Sources & Recommended Intakes
Do you know which foods provide the best source for protein? Learn about both animal-based and plant-based foods that contain protein in this lesson. It will also show you how much protein you should consume each day to stay healthy and avoid disease.
5. What Are Carbohydrates? - Sources & Intake Guidelines
Do you know which foods contain carbohydrates? Learn sources of both simple and complex carbohydrates, as well as how many carbs you should consume each day to stay healthy and avoid disease, in this lesson.
6. Foods That Are Sources of Lipids
Fats add flavor to the foods you love. Yet, eating too many unhealthy fats, such as saturated fats, trans fats and cholesterol, can lead to health problems. Learn which foods contain these unhealthy fats and which ones contain fats that promote health in this lesson.
7. Nutrient Deficiencies: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will explain what nutrient deficiencies are, and how deficiencies of certain vitamins and minerals occur. Next, we will review what problems are associated with these deficiencies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Family & Consumer Sciences (072): Study Guide & Practice course
- Health & Wellness
- Nutrition Needs Across the Lifespan
- Health & Fitness Across the Lifespan
- Meal Planning
- Overview of Food Preparation
- Food Safety & Storage
- Food Production, Consumption & Distribution
- Food Service Careers
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Sexual Development
- Factors Impacting Human Development & Needs
- Developmental Milestones & Abnormalities
- The Process of Human Aging
- Family Characteristics & Dynamics
- Family Crisis, Transitions & Conflict
- Parenting Process
- Methods of Birth Control
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Family Resources
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- Career Planning & Employment
- Basic Career Skills
- Instruction & Learning Goals
- NYSTCE Family & Consumer Sciences (072) Flashcards