About This Chapter
Speaking & Listening - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to examine various types of communication processes, and discover how communication can break down or fail. Analyze the idea that communication takes place in order to persuade, entertain or inform, whether it is formally structured or not. Take a look at the value that effective listening has for a good public speaker.
Additional subject-specific information is contained in these lessons, such as:
- Definition and importance of communication
- Meaning and steps of the process of communication
- Difference between casual conversation and public speaking
- Techniques, definition and examples of active listening
- Meaning and obstacles of effective listening
- Public speaking and the impact of pronunciation, dialect and articulation
- Purpose and types of persuasive speaking
- Definition of commercial speech along with some examples
Access these studies while you are on the go using your mobile device. Lessons are meant to be completed in 5-10 minutes time, and they're narrated by instructors who enliven the learning process.
1. What Is Language Acquisition? - Theories & Stages
How do non-speaking infants become vocal toddlers? Is learning language a natural event, or are we taught how to speak from those around us? Read on to discover theories on how we develop language and learn to communicate.
2. What is Communication? - Definition & Importance
Any task or transaction that requires more than one person can only be successfully completed with communication. In this lesson, you'll learn what communication is, types of communication and the importance of communication.
3. What is the Communication Process? - Definition & Steps
Communication is a process, and if the process breaks down, communication will fail. In this lesson, you'll learn about the communication process. We'll also discuss how the concept of noise can disrupt this process.
4. How Public Speaking Differs from Casual Conversation
Public speaking and casual conversation are similar in that they are done to inform, persuade or entertain an audience. They are different in that public speaking is more structured, is spoken in a formal language and has a formal delivery.
5. What Is Active Listening? - Techniques, Definition & Examples
Have you ever felt that you had been heard but not understood? If so, chances are that the person you were talking with was not actively listening.This lesson defines active listening and provides specific techniques that can be used.
6. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
7. Considering Pronunciation, Articulation, and Dialect in Public Speaking
The speaker's culture and habits often have much to do with the vocal traits of a speech. Thus, punctuation, articulation and dialect are three very personal aspects of speech delivery.
8. Persuasive Speaking: Purpose and Types
Persuasive writing is all about influencing people by using credibility, logic and emotion; and this can be achieved in a few ways. The speaker may want to assert a fact, a value or even a policy.
9. Commercial Speech: Definition & Examples
Do companies have guidelines when communicating with consumers? What if they aren't telling the truth? Find the answer to these questions and more by completing this lesson on commercial speech and the guidelines surrounding it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards