About This Chapter
Special Education Social Stories - Chapter Summary
Our valuable chapter introduces you to social stories on a variety of different topics that you can use to help you communicate and teach your special education students. These lessons cover social issues such as friendship and sharing, school issues like going to the library and tougher concepts like hitting and stealing. All of our professionally designed learning tools are available to you 24 hours a day on your mobile phone or tablet, giving you flexibility to work around your busy teaching schedule.
How It Helps
- Provides lessons targeted for special needs students: With lessons devoted to students with Asperger's, autism, physical disabilities and students in speech therapy, the needs of all your students can be met with these social stories.
- Discusses sensitive subjects: Our lessons can help you sensitively address challenging and sensitive topics with your students, such as lying, stranger danger, anger and death.
- Improves classroom behavior: With specific lessons tailored to common classroom behaviors, you can use social stories to help your students with issues such as running out of the classroom, getting attention inappropriately and keeping clothes on.
This chapter provides you with social stories on a variety of subjects that you can use in your classroom and with your students, including:
- Stories about hygiene, menstruation, eating healthy and other personal care topics
- Stories for students with autism, Asperger's, in speech therapy and with physical disabilities
- Stories about social issues like friendship, sharing, greetings and personal space
- Stories covering emotional topics like anger, social anxiety and staying calm
- Stories about improper behaviors, inlcuding spitting, lying, biting and noise making
- Stories about school events, going to the library, the cafeteria and riding the bus
- Stories about life events, such as going to the doctor or going to a restaurant
1. Social Stories for Teens
Social stories are an effective strategy to help students learn a new skill. Teachers can help prepare their students for difficult social situations by writing stories that demonstrate the correct way to handle a scenario.
2. Social Stories for Students with Autism
Do you have students with autism spectrum disorder or others who need to develop social skills? This lesson will discuss how to create and individualize social stories to use with these students.
3. Social Stories for Privacy
Students often have trouble understanding concepts like privacy. Using social stories can help. In this lesson, you'll find some examples of social stories about privacy.
4. Social Stories for Students with Asperger's
Some of our students need special instruction to learn social skills. This lesson will give you a few ideas on how to use social stories with students with Asperger's to help them cope with social situations.
5. Social Stories Activities
Social stories have recently gained in popularity. Once used primarily for special education students, social stories now can be used to meet a wide variety of needs. This lesson will discuss how to use and create social stories.
6. Social Stories for Inappropriate Touching
In this lesson, we'll be looking at some examples of social stories on inappropriate touching. They include social stories about students touching themselves as well as touching other people.
7. Social Stories About Death
Teachers can use social stories as tools for teaching a wide variety of topics. In this lesson, you'll find some social stories dealing with the topic of death.
8. Social Stories for Separation Anxiety
Separating from loved ones can be especially stressful for students who have special needs. The social stories in this lesson will prepare your students to deal with separation anxiety.
9. Birthday Social Stories
Birthdays can be wonderful and exciting times, but they can also come with their share of stress. These social stories will help your students communicate about and understand birthdays.
10. Social Stories for Adults with Physical Disabilities
Students with social and cognitive disabilities may not know how to respond when they see an adult with a physical disability, especially if the adult is using adaptive equipment. In this lesson, you'll find social stories about interacting with adults with physical disabilities.
11. Using Social Stories in Speech Therapy
If you are a speech therapist who works with students on the autism spectrum, you might be interested in working with social stories. This lesson discusses some of the strategies involved in using social stories in speech therapy.
12. Social Stories for Transitions in Life
Transitions are hard for everyone, especially for students with cognitive or social disabilities. In this lesson, you will find social stories that address the topic of life transitions.
13. How to Use Social Stories for Autism Therapy
Are you considering incorporating social stories into your classroom? This lesson will help you create social stories for students with autism spectrum disorder. The lesson includes examples and strategies for personalizing each story.
14. Weather Social Stories
Learning about the weather and its implications for social behavior can be really important for students' safety and well-being. This lesson offers social stories that teach students about weather.
15. Special Olympics Social Stories
Social stories can be useful tools when preparing students for events that are not a part of their everyday routines. The social stories in this lesson address the Special Olympics.
16. Social Stories on Unexpected Changes
In this lesson we'll be learning how to use social stories to help students deal with unexpected changes. We'll talk about common unexpected changes that occur at school.
17. Social Stories on Being Flexible
Social stories are excellent resources for teaching students with social and cognitive disabilities about a variety of social challenges. In this lesson, you will find social stories about being flexible.
18. Thanksgiving Social Stories for Students with Autism
In this lesson, you'll be learning how to teach your students on the autism spectrum about Thanksgiving through social stories. After reviewing what social stories are, we'll focus on examples to share with your students.
19. Social Stories on Bullying
Bullying is a serious issue in schools. Some teachers use social stories to teach students about bullying. Here are some sample social stories on bullying that you can use or adapt for your class.
20. Social Stories for Kids in Conflict
Conflict is a normal part of development and relationships, but it is not always easy for kids to handle. This lesson offers social stories oriented toward helping students manage common types of conflict.
21. Social Stories for Kids with ADHD
In this lesson, you'll learn how to apply social stories to help students with ADHD. By the end of the lesson you'll not only understand what social stories are, but have several examples to share with your students.
22. Social Stories for Hitting Animals
Though seeing children hit animals can be a very disturbing experience for adults, it is often a sign that the child is experiencing stress or duress. This lesson offers social stories to help children stop themselves from hitting animals.
23. Social Stories for Time Out
Dealing with discipline issues can be challenging for teachers of students with special needs. The social stories in this lesson help you explain time-out to your students in ways that make sense from a child's point of view.
24. Social Stories for Being Nice to Pets
It is so important for students to learn to treat animals properly and take good care of them. This lesson offers social stories that will help your students understand why and how to be nice to pets.
25. Social Stories for Pet Death
Children are often very attached to animals and grieve tremendously when they die. This lesson offers social stories that help students with special needs make sense of the death of a beloved pet.
26. Social Stories for Divorce
Divorce can be really hard for students to think about and make sense of. This lesson provides you with some social stories that help you talk about divorce with students in different contexts.
27. Social Stories for Wearing Glasses
Wearing glasses can sometimes be annoying, inconvenient, or embarrassing, especially to a child. Some students may benefit from reading a social story about why it's important for them to wear their glasses.
28. Social Stories for Having a Sibling with Autism
Are you looking for a fun way to teach your students about their siblings with autism spectrum disorder (ASD)? This lesson provides social stories for living with someone with ASD.
29. How to Use Social Stories in the Classroom
Social stories can really help many students learn more about appropriate ways to handle challenging situations. This lesson gives you some ideas for how you can use social stories in your classroom.
30. Social Stories on a New Baby in the Family
When a student gets a new sibling, all sorts of different feelings and questions can abound. This lesson helps your students think through these experiences using social stories.
31. Social Stories on Grief & Death
While there is no right way to deal with grief and death, there are things you can do to support your students with special needs when they are struggling with these issues. This lesson offers some social stories oriented around the mourning process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.