About This Chapter
Special Issues in Gifted Education - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will have the opportunity to explore various topics relating to issues in gifted education, such as why gifted students underachieve or how to accommodate ADHD students in the classroom. Lessons describe characteristics and strategies that are important for teachers to understand, and some lessons focus on specific types of gifted students. Once you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the causes of underachievement in gifted students
- Apply strategies to address underachievement
- List characteristics of twice-exceptional students
- Understand the characteristics among ADHD and giftedness
- Implement teaching strategies to help gifted students with learning disabilities
This convenient study tool allows for 24/7 accessibility from any device and contains text lessons that take only minutes to review. You could also print lesson transcripts to create handy reference materials. Self-assessment quizzes measure what you have retained from each lesson and determine your readiness in moving from one topic to the next.
1. Underachievement in Gifted Students: Causes & Solutions
In this lesson, you will learn about the emotional and environmental causes of underachievement in gifted students, as well as strategies to help gifted students achieve at their optimal level.
2. Twice-Exceptional Students: Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn characteristics of twice-exceptional students. You will also learn tools you can use to help these students reach their potential.
3. ADHD & Giftedness
In this lesson, we'll explore the common characteristics among ADHD and giftedness. You'll also look at some teaching strategies and suggested classroom accommodations for the twice exceptional student.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Gifted Education (5358): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Gifted Education
- Characteristics & Development of Gifted Students
- Assessing & Identifying Gifted Students
- Curriculum Planning for Gifted Students
- Instructional Strategies for Gifted Students
- Student Self-Advocacy & Responsibility in Gifted Learning
- Learning Environments for Gifted Instruction
- Student Performance & Assessment
- Interpreting Assessment Data for Gifted Students
- Professionalism in Gifted Education
- Praxis Gifted Education Flashcards