About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from Analytical Chemistry will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the nature of light or the practical applications of electromagnetic waves.
- Need an efficient way to learn about spectroscopy.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Spectroscopy chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Spectroscopy chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- How do spectrometers work?
- Where do electromagnetic waves come from?
- What are the seven major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum?
- How do light and matter interact?
- What are the frequencies of visible light waves?
- What can we learn from absorption and emission spectra?
- How is infrared radiation used?
- What are common types of UV radiation?
- How do photomultiplier tubes work?
1. Spectroscopy: Definition and Types
In this video lesson, we will introduce and discuss different spectroscopic techniques used by scientists in an analytical lab. We will understand the importance of these techniques and show how they can be employed in identification and analysis.
2. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
3. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
4. How Light & Matter Interact
This lesson will go over the fundamental basic of how light and matter interact with one another. You'll learn about photons, excited atoms, binding energy, and energy levels.
5. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
6. Atomic Spectrum: Definition, Absorption & Emission
In this lesson, we'll discuss the meaning of the term 'atomic spectrum' and distinguish between the two main types of atomic spectra: absorption and emission spectra. We'll also describe how each forms.
7. Infrared Radiation: Definition, Uses & Effects
This lesson will explain what infrared radiation is and discuss a number of practical uses and effects of infrared, including its connection to climate change and the way the atmosphere responds to infrared waves. A short quiz will follow.
8. What is UV Radiation? - Definition, Types & Effects
It's summertime, and you're applying sunscreen to avoid sunburn. But did you wonder what sunscreen does and what it protects us from? In this lesson, we'll learn all about UV radiation and some of its effects.
9. How Photomultiplier Tubes & Array Detectors Work
In this lesson, we will learn about two ways to improve detection in spectroscopy. We will learn how photomultiplier tubes and how photodiode arrays help us maximize our signals and improve output. A short quiz will test our knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Analytical Chemistry: Help & Review course