About This Chapter
Spelling Application - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors clearly outline fundamental spelling concepts in this engaging chapter. These lessons are a fast and easy way to review word patterns, spelling mistakes and tips for using correct spelling. You should be able to do the following once you've completed the chapter:
- Detail key word and spelling patterns, including prefixes and suffixes
- List some of the most common spelling mistakes
- Differentiate between homonyms and homophones
- Follow strategies to ensure correct spelling usage in written work
These study materials take the stress out of studying even the most challenging topics. Important spelling applications are explained in a way that's easy to understand and remember. The video lessons are simple to navigate using the video tabs feature, so you can quickly go back and re-watch any portion of a video. Feel free to contact one of our instructors with any questions that you might have about the chapter material.
1. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
2. Spelling Mistakes: Common Examples & Overview
Learn about some of the most common types of spelling mistakes and how to correct them. Read the lesson and take a brief quiz to test your new skills.
3. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
4. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Vocational Technical Literacy Skills Test (91): Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Meaning of Common Words
- Identifying Main Ideas & Supporting Details
- Exploring the Writer's Purpose
- Relationships Among Ideas in Writing
- Using Critical Reasoning to Evaluate Writing
- Understanding Graphs, Tables & Charts
- Unified & Focused Writing
- Verb & Noun Usage in Writing
- Using Pronouns & Modifiers
- Sentence Structure Application
- Punctuation Overview
- Capitalization Use
- Preparing Appropriate Forms of Written Response
- Outlining & Summarizing
- Writing A Well-Developed Composition
- MTEL Vocational Technical Literacy Skills Flashcards