About This Chapter
Spelling Basics - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers basic spelling rules and concepts. Taught by expert English instructors, the chapter helps you recognize and remember rules related to root words, prefixes, suffixes, word endings, homonyms, homophones and more. You can test your understanding of these spelling rules by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have, and when you're finished with the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Recognize word and spelling patterns for root words, prefixes and suffixes
- Comprehend English spelling rules for prefixes, suffixes and endings
- Differentiate between homonyms and homophones
1. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
2. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, and you'll have a chance to test yourself with a short quiz.
3. English Spelling Rules for Suffixes & Endings
Suffixes change much about words, including the spelling. This lesson outlines some of the guidelines for using suffixes, ensuring correct spelling of the word.
4. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 8th Grade Language Arts course
- Pronouns, Adverbs & Infinitives
- Punctuation & Capitalization
- Sentences: Types & Parts
- Revising Writing
- Reading Strategies Overview
- Reading Comprehension & Response
- Reading & Interpreting Visuals
- Literary Elements & Devices
- Reading & Writing Informational Texts
- Reading & Writing Persuasive Texts
- Reading & Writing Poetry
- 8th Grade Reading Practice: Flowers for Algernon
- 8th Grade Reading Practice: Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl