About This Chapter
Spelling Rules in English - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to review general spelling rules for English words. Find out about the guidelines for special cases such as plural nouns, prefixes and suffixes, and hyphens. Review how to check for correct spelling in your writing. After watching these lessons, you should understand:
- Rules for dropping and doubling letters
- Guidelines for endings
- When to combine words
- Homonyms and homophones
- Guidelines for using hyphens
- Strategies and tips to ensure correct spelling
These lessons are available anytime, on a computer, tablet, or smartphone. Written transcripts with key terms and phrases highlighted let you read along with the instructor. You can test your knowledge through lesson quizzes and end-of-chapter exams. A clickable Timeline allows you to quickly find passages you wish to review without having to watch the entire lesson.
1. English Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
Our world is filled with nouns. For such an important part of speech, it is vital to follow the right spelling rules for them. In this lesson, we discuss the rules for spelling plural nouns.
2. English Spelling Rules for Doubling & Dropping Letters
In this lesson, you'll learn the spelling rules associated with doubling letters. You'll also learn how to correctly drop letters when changing the form of a word. Then you can test your new skills with a short quiz.
3. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, as well as some exceptions to the rule.
4. English Spelling Rules for Suffixes & Endings
Suffixes change much about words, including the spelling. This lesson outlines some of the guidelines for using suffixes, ensuring correct spelling of the word.
5. General English Spelling Rules
In this lesson, we detail just a few of the numerous general spelling rules in the English language, while also taking note of the exceptions to each guideline.
6. Determining When to Combine Words
This lesson highlights some of the common mistakes we make with combining words or deciding to separate them. You will get the lowdown on the rules to use to get them right and test your knowledge in a quiz.
7. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
8. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
9. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Foundations
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary in English
- Figures of Speech & Meaning
- Reading and Comprehension Strategies
- Organization of Written Works
- Climax & Plot in Written Works
- Themes in Written Works
- Types of Literary Fiction
- Essay Types & Literary Genres
- Significant Authors, Poets & Literary Works
- Points of View in Literature
- Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- Phrases & Clauses in English
- Types of Sentences in English
- Modifiers in the English Language
- Grammar Conventions in English
- Comma Rules in English
- Precision & Clarity in Writing
- Descriptive Writing Basics
- Effective Composition Writing
- The Writing Process
- Research Writing
- Narrative Writing Strategies
- Expository Writing Strategies
- Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Effective Listening Strategies
- Public Speaking Strategies
- Viewing & Presenting Images
- ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards