About This Chapter
Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness - Chapter Summary
Watch this chapter's engaging video lessons or read the transcripts to review what it takes to develop proficiency in a variety of physical activities. You can also revisit the mental health, fitness and performance gains that result from regular physical activity in addition to the social benefits associated with participation in sports.
Our experienced instructors also discuss the elements of exercise programs designed to improve an individual's flexibility, strength and cardiovascular endurance, while additional lessons go over sports etiquette and safety protocols as well as methods for preventing and treating injuries. Topics of instruction include:
- Competent sports performance
- Benefits of physical activity
- Exercise program components
- Sports and fitness etiquette
- Injury treatment and prevention
This chapter is taught by expert instructors who hit on all the important considerations for participating in an exercise program, sport or outdoor activity. Plus, instruction is broken down into short video lessons for your convenience. Take on as many at a time as you'd like and complete the multiple-choice quizzes when you're ready to see how much of the material you've mastered.
1. Competent Performance in Sports & Activities
In this lesson we review the mental and physical aspects of competence performance in sports, as well as team building and training in team sports and activities.
2. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
3. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
5. Physical, Social and Emotional Benefits of Participating in Sports
Participation in sports has a positive impact on youth. This lesson will examine some of the physical, social, and emotional benefits that are gained through athletics.
6. Fitness, Sports & Activities Etiquette
Etiquette guidelines may not be posted anywhere, but you are still expected to follow them. Learn some fundamental ways you can improve your etiquette in sports and fitness activities.
7. Preventing & Treating Fitness Injuries
Injuries are a risk whenever you start a fitness program. Learn about ways to prevent common injuries, such as sprains and strains, as well as how to treat them using the RICE method, which stands for rest, ice, compress and elevate, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards