About This Chapter
Sports & Recreation - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores sports and recreation through different lessons. These lessons are filled with a great deal of information that can help you review everything you need to know about games and activities related to sports and recreation. The chapter addresses the following topics:
- Performance in sports
- Lifelong sports skills
- How to organize sports and activities
- Games and group challenges
- Etiquette for sports and fitness
- Exposing students to outdoor activities
By going through all of the lessons in this chapter, you will complete a thorough review of sports and recreation. The lessons are filled with terms and phrases in bold. This was done to emphasize the importance of specific information in this chapter. When you are done with each lesson, take the lesson quizzes to assess your knowledge and to make sure you are retaining the material.
1. Competent Performance in Sports & Activities
In this lesson we review the mental and physical aspects of competence performance in sports, as well as team building and training in team sports and activities.
2. Developing Lifelong Sports Skills
You want to encourage students to develop sports skills that will last them a lifetime. What are the principles, techniques and organizational strategies that will help you do that? This lesson fills you in and gives you some ideas to promote lifelong sports skills.
3. Organizing Sports & Recreational Activities
In this lesson we discuss how to organize sports and recreational activities. We review older and newer methods for achieving success in these goals. We also review rules, etiquette, equipment, and safety practices.
4. Cooperative Games & Group Challenges
Learn how to set up cooperative games and activities in a way that sets you and your group up for success. This lesson covers rules, safety practices, equipment, and more.
5. Fitness, Sports & Activities Etiquette
Etiquette guidelines may not be posted anywhere, but you are still expected to follow them. Learn some fundamental ways you can improve your etiquette in sports and fitness activities.
6. How to Expose Students to Outdoor Activities
Outdoor recreation and activities offer a unique learning environment for students to learn about themselves and to form stronger social ties with their classmates. This lesson goes over methods to introduce children to these activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Physical Education K-12 (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Philosophy of Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Human Growth & Development
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Physical Activity & Fitness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity
- Assessment in Physical Education
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- FTCE Physical Education K-12 Flashcards