About This Chapter
STAAR English II: The Writing Process - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will encounter exciting video lessons about the writing process that will include the steps involved in the writing process, creation of an effective introduction, tips for organizing sentences, different types of sentence structures, and more. These lessons will help you refresh your knowledge of the concepts needed for the related portion of the STAAR English II exam. Your completion of the lessons means you're ready to test your skills by taking the short quizzes. They are great ways to help you measure your progress. Additional subjects included in this chapter include:
- Instructions for effective prewriting
- Steps for writing an outline
- Structure of a five-paragraph essay
- Process of writing a rough draft
- Tips for writing the body of an essay and transitional sentences
- Ways word choice determines the tone
- Importance of effective conclusions
- Ways to edit the content in an essay and proofread for grammar
You can skip back and forth within the video lessons using the video tags. If you are looking for vocabulary words to help you better understand the lesson concepts, read the lesson transcripts. After taking the quizzes, take a look at the parts of the videos that discuss the correct quiz answers using the provided links.
1. The Writing Process: Definition & Steps
Writing is one of the most common ways we communicate. To be a successful writer, you should practice the five steps of the writing process: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publication.
2. Effective Prewriting: Instructions and Examples
You should learn prewriting techniques, such as brainstorming, mapping, and freewriting, to produce well-planned, focused essays. This lesson explains the basics for how to conduct effective prewriting.
3. How to Write an Outline
Whether it's a doctoral thesis or high school essay, outlining is crucial to writing success. This lesson emphasizes the importance of outlines and specifically addresses the three most common outlines for writers to utilize.
4. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
5. Writing the Rough Draft of an Essay
The writing process begins with a topic and concludes with a polished essay. One of the crucial stages in the middle is the rough draft. This lesson outlines a procedure for getting the most benefit from that first essay draft.
6. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
7. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
8. How Word Choice and Language Sets the Tone of Your Essay
In this video, we will discuss how word choice sets the tone for your essay. This includes letting the reader know if you are angry, happy or even attempting to refrain from bias. These tools bring your 'voice' into your writing.
9. Structuring Paragraphs and Sentences: Tips and Tricks
Once you've developed an outline, it's time to begin drafting your essay. This lesson will walk you through the steps of putting together a body paragraph and show you how to ensure that your paragraphs are unified, coherent and well-developed.
10. Varied Sentence Structure in Writing
Learn the meaning of sentence structure and the importance of varying sentence structure in writing in this lesson. Four strategies to help you vary your sentence structure will also be described.
11. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
12. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
13. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
14. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR English II: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR English II: Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- STAAR English II: Analyzing Texts
- STAAR English II: Poetry
- STAAR English II: Drama
- STAAR English II: Prose Fiction
- STAAR English II: Nonfictional Prose
- STAAR English II: Sensory Language
- STAAR English II: Media Literacy
- STAAR English II: Reading Informational Texts
- STAAR English II: Reading Persuasive & Technical Texts
- STAAR English II: Writing Expository Texts
- STAAR English II: Writing Persuasive Texts
- STAAR English II: Grammar & Parts of Speech
- STAAR English II: Punctuation & Spelling
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR English II Flashcards