About This Chapter
STAAR English II: Vocabulary Acquisition & Use - Chapter Summary
As you review the concepts featured in this chapter, you will gain a better understanding of the processes by which we acquire vocabulary and develop effective strategies for decoding words you may not know. These skills are especially necessary when reading and writing and will be tested on the STAAR English II exam. These informative and easy-to-understand lessons cover key vocabulary concepts such as:
- Word patterns such as prefixes, suffixes and root words
- Decoding words using affixes and roots
- Using context and word relationships to identify word meaning
- Origins of foreign words and phrases typically used in English
- Utilizing reference materials and other strategies to define and acquire new words
Follow along with each lesson at your own pace, and assess your comprehension at the end of each section by taking the quizzes. Once you have completed all lessons, the chapter exam will help you gauge if there are any areas you need to re-examine. Full video transcripts with highlighted keywords and quiz worksheets can be printed and used as hard-copy study material. The comprehensive study package provided in this test prep chapter will ensure you have the tools needed to prepare for vocabulary-related questions on the STAAR English II exam.
1. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
2. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
3. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
4. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
5. Common Foreign Words Used in the English Language
Many foreign words and phrases are commonly used in the English language. In fact, you may not recognize many of them as foreign. In this lesson, we will focus on a short list of these words and phrases.
6. Using Reference Materials for Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will explore various reference materials that will allow you to increase your vocabulary. Common reference materials include dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses.
7. Strategies for Acquiring and Using New Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will discuss methods for growing our vocabulary and putting the new words into practice. We will also learn how to discover the meaning of words based on the context, the surrounding information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR English II: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR English II: Analyzing Texts
- STAAR English II: Poetry
- STAAR English II: Drama
- STAAR English II: Prose Fiction
- STAAR English II: Nonfictional Prose
- STAAR English II: Sensory Language
- STAAR English II: Media Literacy
- STAAR English II: Reading Informational Texts
- STAAR English II: Reading Persuasive & Technical Texts
- STAAR English II: The Writing Process
- STAAR English II: Writing Expository Texts
- STAAR English II: Writing Persuasive Texts
- STAAR English II: Grammar & Parts of Speech
- STAAR English II: Punctuation & Spelling
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR English II Flashcards