About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter are intended to help students get ready for questions about chemical equations and formulas on the STAAR Science Grade 8 test. They will help students answer test questions related to information such as:
- Types of chemical formulas
- Chemical equations
- The law of the conservation of mass
- Steps involved in balancing chemical equations
Our subject experts created these short lessons on chemical formulas and equations. Each includes a quiz for self-assessment at the end of the lesson. Students can contact an instructor with any questions he or she might have. They can access these resources from any mobile devices for studying on-the-go.
1. What is a Chemical Formula? - Definition, Types & Examples
Chemical formulas provide a lot of information about chemical substances, such as how many and what atoms they are made of, as well as the way the atoms are arranged. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different types of chemical formulas.
2. What is a Chemical Equation? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how chemical equations are used to represent chemical reactions. You will learn that there are many pieces of information provided in a chemical equation, and you will gain an understanding of how to interpret chemical equations.
3. The Law of Conservation of Mass: Definition, Equation & Examples
Read about the law of conservation of mass, its role in chemistry, and its importance in the universe. Learn the equation, review examples, and test your knowledge of the material with a short quiz.
4. Balanced Chemical Equation: Definition & Examples
A chemical equation shows the chemical formulas of substances that are reacting and the substances that are produced. The number of atoms of the reactants and products need to be balanced. In this lesson, we will discuss balancing chemical equations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes & Tools
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards