About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography - Chapter Summary
Help your 8th-grade student study key concepts for the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam by providing them with these easy-to-understand, useful lessons. Our expert instructors have designed each lesson to keep students engaged, while also outlining relevant topics that will be found on the exam. They can complete each section at their own pace to ensure full understanding as they review topics including:
- Earth formation theories
- Definition and theory of plate tectonics
- Defining topography and the forces that reshape it
- Reading and understanding topographic maps
- Features formed by ground and surface water
- Importance of watersheds
Once your student thoroughly studies the material covered in each lesson, they can utilize the brief multiple-choice lesson quizzes, then move on to the more comprehensive chapter exam. These assessments will highlight any concepts your student may need to review so they are fully prepared for this portion of the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. Video lessons include tags for quick review of specific topics, along with full printable transcripts that include highlighted words. All quizzes include supplemental worksheets that can also be printed.
1. Formation of the Earth: Theories
In this lesson, the theory of how the planet Earth formed will be discussed. This includes looking at how it differentiated into three layers, how it formed its atmosphere, water, and land features, and how it continues to evolve today.
2. Plate Tectonics: Theory & Definition
Plate tectonics describes the internal workings of our planet. Using it allows geologists to explain a wide range of geologic features and processes. You will learn the basics about the theory in this lesson.
3. What Is Topography and How Is Topography Reshaped?
The topography, or surface of the Earth, is constantly changing shape due to many powerful forces. In this lesson, we will learn about some of the amazing changes that occur on Earth due to the processes of weathering, erosion, and deposition.
4. Using & Understanding Topographic Maps
Topographic maps are useful because they help us understand and locate topographic features on Earth's surface. But in order to properly read a topographic map, you need to be able to interpret its lines, symbols, and shapes correctly.
5. Ground and Surface Water: Effects On Landscapes
In this lesson, you will learn how groundwater and surface water form features on Earth and cause changes in landscapes. You will also learn about the different types of features formed by each type of water.
6. What is a Watershed? - Definition, Facts & Protection
Have you ever wondered what happens to rain after it hits the ground? In this lesson, we will trace the amazing journey a raindrop takes after it falls on land. You will learn a definition of a watershed and explore examples of how watersheds are protected.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes & Tools
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards