About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe - Chapter Summary
Have your students complete these short and engaging lessons to refresh their understanding of how we have explored our universe beyond the reaches of any physical probe. These lessons have been composed to help the students prepare for related questions on the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam about:
- Technologies used to study the universe
- Different types of telescopes
- The speed of light and the distance of a light year
- Properties of electromagnetic waves and their uses
Further reinforce your students' understanding of our exploration of the universe by having them read the lesson transcripts. These written overviews will provide an additional review of the topics covered in the lessons and the key vocabulary of the chapter. Following each lesson, have your students take the lesson's quiz to identify topics they may not understand.
1. Using Technology to Study the Earth & Universe
Have you ever wondered how we know so much about the universe? Learn about how we use technology to study the universe, from the tiny to the enormous. Then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Types of Telescopes: Radio, Reflecting & Refracting Telescopes
Learn about the different types of telescopes that astronomers use: X-ray, radio, gamma ray, reflecting and refracting. Learn what the differences are between them and what different things they show us about the universe.
3. The Speed of Light: Distance & Light-Years
This lesson will tell you what the speed of light is, what a light year is, what lookback time is, and why it is that we see many objects in space as they were a long time ago.
4. What are Electromagnetic Waves: Definition & Types
Explore electromagnetic (EM) waves, their features and how they differ from other waves. Learn how EM waves are organized on a spectrum based on the amount of energy they produce, from radio waves to gamma rays.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes & Tools
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards