About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will delve into important information about genes, heredity and evolution to help students study for the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. With these lessons, students will explore:
- The definition, structure and function of genes and genetic material
- Inheriting genes through sexual reproduction
- Types of asexual reproduction
- Natural selection and the process of adaption
- Artificial selection and its impact on evolution
- Speciation and how new species are formed
Our instructors have developed these lessons to help students easily absorb and retain the information being reviewed. You'll find engaging video and text lessons to illustrate the material. Students can take a self-assessment quiz after each lesson to apply what they've learned. At the end of the chapter, a cumulative exam is available for students to test their knowledge of the topics.
1. What Is a Gene? - Definition & Structure
Genes are little codes found in our cells that make up who we are. This lesson covers where genes are located, how we get our genes, and the functions of genes.
2. Genetic Material: Definition, Structure & Function
Genetic material, also known as deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA), plays a fundamental role in the composition of living organisms. Learn more about the definition, structure, and function, then test your understanding with a quiz.
3. Sexual Reproduction: Inheriting Genes from Each Parent
Organisms reproduce in order to make offspring. With sexual reproduction the offspring get a combination of the genetic material from two parents. Learn how the male and female reproductive cells, called gametes, come together during fertilization.
4. Types of Asexual Reproduction
If an organism comes from a single parent, then it reproduced asexually. This results in genetically identical offspring. Learn about different types of asexual reproduction, such as binary fission, fragmentation, budding and vegetative propagation.
5. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
6. Artificial Selection in Evolution
Humans have been selectively breeding for desirable traits in plants and animals for a long time. This artificial selection allows for a lot of control in the breeding process but can also lead to unintended mutations within a population of organisms.
7. Speciation: Definition, Examples & Role in Evolution
Can you believe that over two million species have been identified on Earth? Have you ever wondered how so many species formed on Earth? Learn more about how new species form and test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes & Tools
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards