About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes and Tools - Chapter Summary
This chapter gives an informative look into various forms and considerations of scientific processes and tools, paying particular attention to the kind of related material pertinent to the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. Topics examined include:
- Scientific investigating and experimenting
- The scientific method
- Scientific tools and their applications
- Reading graphs and charts of scientific data
- Laboratory measurements
- Safety in the lab
With both a video and transcript of each lesson, students will have the ability to govern the way they process the material. The practice quizzes accompanying each lesson allow for checking of topic comprehension, while the practice final exam at the end of the chapter lets students confirm their overall understanding.
1. What is Scientific Investigation? - Definition, Steps & Examples
Scientific investigation is the way in which scientists and researchers use a systematic approach to answer questions about the world around us. Read on to find out more. A quiz is provided to test your understanding.
2. Scientific Experiment: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the process of a scientific experiment. First, the lesson will outline the definition and give a short history of scientific experimentation. Then the types will be described and, finally, an example of a scientific experiment will be provided.
3. The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
The scientific method is more than just hypotheses and experiments. In this lesson, we'll explore the themes and variations that make up the world of science.
4. The Scientific Method Applied to Environmental Problems: Definition, Steps and Applications
In this lesson we will investigate the steps involved in the scientific method. We will also explore how the scientific method is used to solve environmental problems.
5. Scientific Tools and Their Uses
A scientist relies on tools to help make observations, carry out experiments and take measurements. Learn about the scientific tools used in a lab and the advanced tools used by scientists in the life sciences.
6. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
7. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
8. Personal Safety Equipment for the Science Lab
Science labs are great places to explore and learn. But they're only as safe as the people who use them, so in this lesson, we'll discuss some of the ways that you can protect yourself and prevent personal harm in the event of a lab accident.
9. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
An important part of lab safety involves the correct usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals. Lab safety is everyone's responsibility, so it's important that you know the proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards