About This Chapter
STAAR Science - Grade 8: The Periodic Table - Chapter Summary
Help your eighth grade student achieve a basic understanding of the periodic table using this comprehensive chapter. In these lessons, students will study some of the basic principles that will be tested on the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. Instructors discuss the information in an age-appropriate, engaging manner so students can easily follow along. Some of the core concepts featured in this chapter include:
- Organization and groupings of the periodic table
- Definition and symbols of atomic numbers
- Calculating atomic mass
- Atom energy levels and valence electrons
- Categorizing elements based on their properties
- Grouping trends of atomic and ionic radii
- Ionization energy and ionization trends in the periodic table
As students refresh their knowledge of these key principles, they can take advantage of the brief multiple-choice lesson quizzes and supplemental quiz worksheets to test for understanding. The more extensive chapter exam will help them assess their overall understanding of the topics covered throughout the chapter. Video lessons include complete transcripts with highlighted key words that can be printed out and used for offline study material.
1. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
2. Atomic Number: Definition & Symbol
This lesson focuses on an important concept in chemistry and physics known as the atomic number. Atomic number is defined, and examples from the periodic table of the elements are provided to help students apply the concept.
3. What is Atomic Mass? - Definition & Examples
Atomic mass is a characteristic of an atom that is a measure of its size. It is plays a major role in the chemical properties of elements. This article discusses atomic mass and how it is calculated.
4. Valence Electrons and Energy Levels of Atoms of Elements
The periodic table contains a wealth of information. This lesson will explain how to use it to quickly determine the most useful information about the most important electrons. We will be focusing our discussion on valence electrons and energy levels.
5. Physical & Chemical Properties of Elements: Metals, Nonmetals & Metalloids
Elements are elementary! They are simple substances that cannot be broken down. Learn how each element has its own unique set of physical and chemical properties, and how we use those properties to categorize them as metals, nonmetals, and metalloids.
6. Atomic and Ionic Radii: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Atoms are VERY tiny. How do we measure their size? This lesson will explain how the size of an atom is measured and teach you how to predict the relative size of an atom based on where it is located on the periodic table.
7. Ionization Energy: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Do you know someone who has undergone radiation as a form of cancer treatment? Have you ever thought about why X-rays have health risks? Watch the video to find out what these types of radiation are really doing to atoms, define ionization energy and identify ionization trends on the periodic table.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Science - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Matter & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Force & Motion
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Work & Energy
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth & Space
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Exploration of the Universe
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Earth's Structure & Topography
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Atmospheric Interactions
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Living Organisms
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Genetics
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Ecosystems & the Environment
- STAAR Science - Grade 8: Scientific Processes & Tools
- STAAR Science - Grade 8 Flashcards