About This Chapter
STAAR US History: Impact of Science & Technology on Economic Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter gets you ready for the STAAR U.S. History EOC exam by allowing you to review the impact of science and technology on economic development. Our lessons will encourage you to get familiar with:
- The free enterprise system, the free market and capitalism
- How societies are shaped by science, technology and economic activity
- Scientific and technological advances since 1945
- Technological revolutions
Completing these engaging lessons will help you understand the role of science and technology in U.S. history. You can test what you know by taking our interactive quizzes. Additionally, our historical experts can answer any questions you have about the information in this chapter.
1. What is the Free Enterprise System? - Definition & Examples
Find out what a free enterprise system is and how you benefit as a consumer and business owner in this type of environment. Learn about some common examples of free enterprises.
2. How Science, Technology & Economic Activity Shape Societies
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how science, technology and economic activity have shaped human societies, from the agricultural revolution to the Industrial Revolution to the digital age. A short quiz will follow.
3. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
4. Science & Technology in the U.S. in the 1950s
The 'Space Age' and the 'Atomic Age' are some of the words we use to categorize the 1950s. This lesson takes a look at some of the scientific achievements of that period, ranging from nuclear energy and rockets to DNA and vacuum cleaners.
5. Free Market: Definition, Advantages & Examples
This lesson explains what a free market system is, the basics of how it affects consumers and business owners, and offers some basic examples of businesses in a free market system.
6. Capitalism and the Free Market: Definition & Limitations
Capitalism is an economic system that has played a dominant part in building the world in which we currently live. In this lesson, you'll learn about some key concepts of capitalism, as well as its limitations.
7. Technological Revolutions: Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we explore a few of the technological innovations that have helped create the 21st-century world and will likely change our world throughout the century.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR U.S. History: Test Prep & Practice course
- STAAR US History: Independence & the Founding Fathers
- STAAR US History: Historical Eras & Significant Events (1877 to Present)
- STAAR US History: Political, Economic & Social Change (1877-1898)
- STAAR US History: United States as a World Power (1898-1920)
- STAAR US History: World War I
- STAAR US History: Early 20th Century Reform & Third-Party Movements
- STAAR US History: Individuals & Social Change During the 1920s
- STAAR US History: World War II
- STAAR US History: Cold War & the United States
- STAAR US History: The Vietnam War
- STAAR US History: The Civil Rights Movement
- STAAR US History: Civil Rights Legislation
- STAAR US History: Role of US in the World (1970-1990)
- STAAR US History: Ronald Reagan & the Rise of Conservatism
- STAAR US History: Foreign Policy & the Gulf War
- STAAR US History: Geographic Factors & Events
- STAAR US History: Migration, Immigration & American Society
- STAAR US History: Population Growth & Environmental Concerns
- STAAR US History: Arts & Culture
- STAAR US History: People Contributing to National Identity
- STAAR US History: Changing Role of the Government
- STAAR US History: Domestic & Global Accountability in Government
- STAAR US History: Government Branches & Checks & Balances
- STAAR US History: Landmark Supreme Court Cases
- STAAR US History: Core Values & the Democratic Process
- STAAR US History: Major Amendments to the US Constitution
- STAAR US History: Civic Participation & Leadership
- STAAR US History: Legislation & Economic Growth (1870-1920)
- STAAR US History: Economic Development Between WWI & WWII
- STAAR US History: Economic Effects of World War II & the Cold War
- STAAR US History: Economic Interdependence in the 21st Century
- STAAR US History: Research & Analyzing Information
- STAAR US History: Critical Thinking & Writing
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR U.S. History Flashcards