About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering human resource management material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about human resources. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to recruit, hire and staff for an organization
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about human resources (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about staffing for an organization
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra human resource learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Staffing in Organizations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Staffing in Organizations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any staffing question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a staffing unit of a standard human resource management course. Topics covered include:
- The hiring process
- Selection methods
- Absenteeism and workplace turnover
- Employee termination
- Transitional matrices
1. Human Resource Management: Hiring and Staffing
In this lesson, we will explore the role a manager plays in human resource management, including hiring and staffing. We will also look at the circumstances affecting employment decisions such as promotion, turnover, downsizing, job redesign and termination.
2. The Hiring Process: How Human Resource Managers Recruit and Hire Employees
When a company is hiring, they need to ensure that they hire the right employees. There are several different steps involved in the hiring process. This lesson explains these steps that include application forms, testing, interviewing, reference checks and health exams.
3. Common Staffing Selection Methods: Definitions, Interview Types, Pros & Cons
Most companies rely on interviewing potential employees as part of the selection process. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of interviews utilized by companies. We'll also cover some of the major pitfalls in using them.
4. Job Bidding as a Recruitment Method
Sometimes the best prospects for recruitment can be found already inside the organization. In this lesson, you'll learn about job bidding and how it is used for internal recruitment. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
5. Terminating an Employee: Process & Best Practices
Learn about the several steps involved in the process of terminating an employee, as well as the best practices a manager can use to ensure a fair and legal separation of employment.
6. Types of Termination: Attrition, Layoffs, Resignation, Retirement & RIF
An organization's labor force is almost always in flux: sometimes employees need to be replaced and sometimes they don't. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different ways employment can be terminated. A short quiz follows the lesson.
7. Impulsive, Comparison, Pre-Planned & Conditional Reasons Employees Quit
Employee turnover is a reality of life for human resource management professionals. Sometimes turnover is voluntary; people just quit. In this lesson, you'll learn about different reasons employees quit. A short quiz follows the lesson.
8. Internal Recruitment: Definition, Methods & Process
Successful companies need good employees. Those employees can come from outside the organization or they can move from within. In this lesson, you'll learn what internal recruitment is and how it can be a good thing for employees and the company.
9. Job Interviews: Types & Common Questions
Everyone who works for someone else probably had to undergo the dreaded job interview. In this lesson, you'll learn about types of interviews and examples of some common questions. You'll also have a chance to take a short quiz after the lesson.
10. How to Ace Your Job Interview
You really want that job and just got word that you've been granted an interview. Now what? Get ready to ace that interview and get the job you want with our tips below.
11. Job Sharing: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Want more job flexibility? Job sharing may be the answer. In this lesson, you'll learn about job sharing, its advantages, and its disadvantages. You'll also have a chance to take a brief quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.
12. Strategic Human Resource Management: Definition & Importance
In this lesson, we'll use a sports analogy and a real-life business example to learn how strategic human resource management differs from human resource management.
13. Human Resources Management For Hospitals
In this lesson, we'll discuss human resource management in hospitals and the roles it plays in healthcare organizations. These roles include those related to employee placement and supervision, research, and decision-making.
14. Strategic Human Resource Planning: Definition & Model
In this lesson we'll explore the definition of strategic human resource planning. We'll also study the standard human resource planning model. Read on to learn more about these HR functions.
15. Best Practices for Employee Orientation Programs
Providing new employees with quality orientation programs has long-term benefits for job satisfaction, productivity, and retention. This lesson explores best practices for implementing employee orientation programs.
16. Exit Interview: Questions, Process & Tips
In this lesson we will learn about the exit interview. We will learn about the process and gain some insight into some possible questions that may be asked. We will also explore some tips to make the interview go smoothly for the employee. The lesson will then be concluded with a summary and a quiz.
17. Strategic Workforce Planning: Definition, Tools & Model
In this lesson, you will discover what strategic workforce planning is, what tools organizations are using to develop effective plans as well as a model that can be used to derive strategic plans.
18. Flexible Work Arrangements: Definition & Policy
Most of us are familiar with a regular work timetable. This lesson will explore the concept of flexible work arrangements. Learn what it means, how it works, and review common rules/policies. Take a quiz after the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Resource Management: Help and Review course
- Overview of HRM Field: Help and Review
- Organizational Theories & Human Resources: Help and Review
- Job Analysis and Design: Help and Review
- Training and Development in Organizations: Help and Review
- Performance Appraisals: Help and Review
- Employee Compensation Issues: Help and Review
- Employment Law & Employee Rights: Help and Review
- Labor Relations: Help and Review
- International Human Resource Management: Help and Review
- Current Issues and Trends in HRM: Help and Review
- Human Resource Management & Employee Recruitment