About This Chapter
Stagecraft & Technical Theater Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
From lighting to set design, this chapter focuses on various behind-the-scenes responsibilities that are important to all stage productions. Our lesson plans describe fun and engaging activities you can use to facilitate your students' learning experience and keep them focused and participating in class. You will find details about group and individual classroom activities and extended homework assignments you can use to have your students delve more deeply into facts about theater props, stagecraft, movie lighting and more.
You will also find video and text lessons to further teach your students about these technical theater topics. Use these resources to expand on your existing classroom materials, facilitate classroom discussions and develop other classroom activities to ensure your students have a full understanding of these topics.
How It Helps
- Vocabulary words: Lists key words and phrases your students should be familiar with when learning about theater set design, stagecraft, among other topics
- Activities or games: Outlines classroom activities to support your students' learning of theater lighting, makeup and other topics
- Additional resources: Details how you can incorporate the use of video and text lessons to expand classroom discussions and make the most of your class time
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning stagecraft and technical theater lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific stagecraft and technical theater topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your performing arts class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related stagecraft and technical theater lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important aspects of stagecraft and technical theater.
- Engage your students with relevant stagecraft and technical theater-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Stagecraft Lesson Plan
Teach your students about stagecraft with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that outlines set design and then work on a cooperative project to put learning into action. Follow up with a quiz to test understanding.
2. What is Set Design? - History & Process
This lesson introduces the history of set design from the early days of Greek theater to the processes used today by set designers around the world. Several innovations, and their innovators are named, and the different types of representational models and drawings used today are discussed.
3. Technical Theater Lesson Plan
Educate your students about technical theater with this lesson plan. They will study a text lesson, take a related lesson quiz, and participate in a fun hands-on activity about technical theater.
4. Technical Theatre: History & Elements
In this lesson, we will cover the major elements of technical theatre, as well as briefly address major historical periods that made technical theatre what it is today.
5. Set Design Lesson Plan
If your students are studying theater, this lesson introduces them to set design. Students will create posters about historical influences on set design, build their own model box sets for famous plays, and draw thumbnails for a set based on their favorite novels.
6. Theatre Props Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will teach your students about theatre props. They will also participate in an exciting activity to create their very own theatre props for a stage production.
7. Technical Theatre Lighting Lesson Plan
Educate your students about technical theatre lighting with this helpful lesson plan. They will study two text lessons, take two related quizzes, and participate in activities that will help to reinforce concepts.
8. Theatre Lighting: History & Design
This lesson examines the history of theatrical lighting development over the centuries, including new power sources, advancement in fixture designs, and famous innovators in modern lighting design.
9. Theatre Lighting: Equipment & Terms
This lesson takes a look at the basic terms and equipment used in theatrical lighting, including what light fixtures produce particular effects and when to use them.
10. Stage Makeup Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will help you teach students the importance of stage makeup, and how to apply it. Students will learn makeup application techniques, and will practice applying stage makeup on each other and themselves.
11. Costume Design: Definition, History & Process
Have you ever watched a movie and marveled at the costumes? Do you wonder who dreams up what the characters will look like? In this lesson, explore the history of costume design and learn how it's done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.