About This Chapter
Stages of Adulthood & Aging - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review a collection of lessons that break down the stages of adulthood and aging. You'll receive expert instruction on a variety of topics related to adult development theory, models of aging, stress management and the types of changes that typically occur throughout adulthood. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Explain Levinson's adult development theory stages
- Compare various aging models
- Recognize developmental influences in late adulthood
- Describe the effects of stress and adaptation
- Outline defense mechanisms and coping strategies for stress
- Discuss emotional, psychological and physical changes in adults
The bite-sized nature of these video lessons helps you quickly move throughout the chapter. Watch the videos online and print the lesson transcripts to follow along with the lesson narrators. You can also solidify your comprehension of these topics by taking the lesson quizzes and chapter exam. For your convenience, we've made these resources available around-the-clock and accessible on any Internet-connected device.
1. Levinson's Stages of Adult Development Theory
There has been a lot of talk about the development of children. But, do people continue to develop into their adult years? Psychologist Daniel Levinson thought so. In this lesson, we will look into his seven stages of adult development.
2. Models of Aging: Definitions & Types
There are different ways to describe how old someone is other than revolutions around the sun. We will explore a few of them and how they focus on either the individual or the individual's place in society.
3. Influences on Development in Late Adulthood
As people age, they go through many changes, both positive and negative. In this lesson, we'll look at the major influences on development in late adulthood, including normative and non-normative change.
4. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
5. Physical, Psychological and Emotional Changes in Adults
As an adult you establish a unique identity, reach the proverbial midlife crisis, and eventually succumb to old age. In this lesson, learn about the physical, psychological, and emotional changes that take place along this journey.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards